Rear Freeze Plugs

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are 2 freeze plugs above the rear main seal plate on the very back of the block right? Inside the bell housing behind the flex plate....

So as I'm putting together a basket case of a 94 factory turbo i Finally got my core support fixed, radiator installed, hoses plumbed and after a couple gallons of water I heard a gushing sound hitting the ground. Quick look under showed the inspection plate with water running out it everywhere. I called it quits for the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought so. Drives side must be popped out.

Just when i thought it'd be easy.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Who installed them and what type were they.. ONLY the pack of 7 ford stainless steel plugs are to be used. Any other off brand will not work. It cost me 5200 bucks to learn this lesson. They need to be installed with a special driver tool also. Don't have it... SOL my friend. you just can't install them correctly without the tool. Some members like Russ can but only because he has installed this kind so many times. Its still a risk not to be taken.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Navistar installed them circa ~1994. As you said, these plugs can be installed correctly without the tool if you know what your doing. It's easiest to practice on tractors where the freeze plugs are in the open and easy to get to if they are wrong. Couple years of practice and you learn a few tricks.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Navistar installed them circa ~1994. As you said, these plugs can be installed correctly without the tool if you know what your doing. It's easiest to practice on tractors where the freeze plugs are in the open and easy to get to if they are wrong. Couple years of practice and you learn a few tricks.

This is so true. Sad part is we have no idea how mush to collapse the plug to make it spread out and bite the cast iron fit. I really wish these were the cup type plugs or even threaded plugs would be perfect. The Boss 429 screw in plugs will fit our engines IF... We cut out the lip in the plug holes. Then of course we need to make 1 1/4 inch threads and that can be a tuff job for the first timers.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the tool needed to install the disc plugs. They are pretty expensive to buy. Had a guy that used to make, sold 8 or 10 of them on here, maybe someone has one close to you. IIRC $250 store bought.

The pic shows it assembled wrong, the small end is what dimples the disc, the barrel end has a specific curved radius to fit the disc plug.

Attachments

• DVC01771.JPG
    DVC01771.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 52

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bill, do you have a print of that tool, dimensions? have equip. to make one and anticipate its use on a 6.9 rebuild
Thanks rwk

bj_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is making this tool the most available option? I've searched around a bit with no luck. None of this idi stuff is a dime a dozen haha

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I have some of the tools available,made some when I was slow in the shop earlier this year. PM me,I can sell you one or possible rent it to you.
RWK