rear end locked up :(

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
driving down the interstate, driver side rear wheels locked completely up out of no where. Ruined my new tires but luckaly didn't wreck the truck. Got the truck towed to a buddies shop and took the wheels off, the brake springs were stretched out, the wheel cylinder was porked, and some other odds and ends. We were sure it was the brakes. SO we redid them completely. Get it back together, still locked up.

Passenger side wheel spins freely, so we're hoping for the best. Pull the wheels back off, and yank the axle out...it seems okay. But the hub still don't turn. SOOO i don't think my main concern is inside the pumpkin but we're going to check that out tomorrow. For now, looking at rebuilding the driver side hub stuff. Always something with this ol girl. But i'm trying to stay positive and keep her alive!

also, is there a name for the ford tool to remove the rear hub?

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
driving down the interstate, driver side rear wheels locked completely up out of no where. Ruined my new tires but luckaly didn't wreck the truck. Got the truck towed to a buddies shop and took the wheels off, the brake springs were stretched out, the wheel cylinder was porked, and some other odds and ends. We were sure it was the brakes. SO we redid them completely. Get it back together, still locked up.

Passenger side wheel spins freely, so we're hoping for the best. Pull the wheels back off, and yank the axle out...it seems okay. But the hub still don't turn. SOOO i don't think my main concern is inside the pumpkin but we're going to check that out tomorrow. For now, looking at rebuilding the driver side hub stuff. Always something with this ol girl. But i'm trying to stay positive and keep her alive!

also, is there a name for the ford tool to remove the rear hub?

Does the hub turn with the axle shaft removed? If it does not then the problem is in the hub (I'm assuming full float Sterling)

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just go to Carquest or Napa to get the socket. Should be like 15 bucks ;Sweet Beware if it was the bearings that failed then look at rebuilding the other side while you're at it.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to diagnose the pumpkin just by taking the bolt out of the axle shaft. With them removed the half shaft should spin counter the opposite wheel.
Is that your truck in the shop next to pizza hut? I started to stop in earlier in the week, but I was running late. Let me know if you need anything. Last time I was down at cfc recycling in Tullahoma they had a complete 86 dually with rear end.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow.. Thats sad to read but happy you didn't wreck or hurt someone. If the axles are out and the hub wont spin it the bearings or the brakes. There is nothing else it can be..

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
He said the hub still wont turn with the axle out.
It's gotta be in the hub itself.
My thoughts as well...prolly smoked a bearing, hopefully it didn't seize and spin the race damaging the hub...have seen that happen more than once.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple test, brake drum off and axle shaft out, if hub does not turn your bearings likely failed and welded themselves together. what blows is that since the outer races are pressed in the hub, and the inners just slide onto the spindle, when a bearing seizes its inner race usually starts spinning on the spindle wearing into it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this is not what happened to you, as the last time I had to deal with it the whole spindle needed replacing - not exactly an easy job considering on the a rear axle the spindle is part of the housing.

The 4-prong socket for Sterling axles is part #15009-01 from Mile Marker, it's $20 or so at the parts store and usually either in stock or next-day order.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thoughts as well...prolly smoked a bearing, hopefully it didn't seize and spin the race damaging the hub...have seen that happen more than once.

Hub ain't what I'm concerned with, those are 10-min removal items at the junkyard. It's the spindle that's the scary part, ain't no replacing that easy.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to diagnose the pumpkin just by taking the bolt out of the axle shaft. With them removed the half shaft should spin counter the opposite wheel.
Is that your truck in the shop next to pizza hut? I started to stop in earlier in the week, but I was running late. Let me know if you need anything. Last time I was down at cfc recycling in Tullahoma they had a complete 86 dually with rear end.

Do they sell the whole truck? that'd be sweet.

No the hub don't turn with the shaft removed. I'm heading out to get the bearings now. I think the pumpkins alright but we'll see and hope for the best.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's guys that can weld the damaged spindle up and turn it back down. Very common on semi trucks

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No the hub don't turn with the shaft removed. I'm heading out to get the bearings now. I think the pumpkins alright but we'll see and hope for the best.
Did you first remove the hub? New bearings will do you no good if the stub/spindle is damaged, you need to know what you're dealing with before you start spending money on parts... Also don't forget you'll be needing a hub seal as well if you remove bearings. Finally, always use only good brand name bearings - Timken, SKF, Koyo, Torrington, etc. None of the in-house brands most parts stores have, those are just a gamble IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gavinc

Members online