rear disc

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hyjack this thread:

Just wondering: has anybody swapped the spongy factory rubber brake lines for stainless brake hoses? I've done a bunch on cars and I was always impressed with how much harder the pedal was, but all those cars had relatively small wheels/tires. I have to say, since I put the 315s on my truck I'm not very happy with the brakes. I have almost everything to do a new hydroboost conversion but was thinking about trying the stainless brake lines first just as a test.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Stainless lines are an all around better option for everything. Definitely better than factory, and better longevity. Go for it! ;Sweet

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to agree about the SuperDuty Brakes.. I am on the 2nd set of pads, and the factory rotors... with 113000+ miles.... and the factory unit hubs.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Stainless lines are an all around better option for everything. Definitely better than factory, and better longevity. Go for it! ;Sweet

just make sure they are DOT rated.

so i am still waiting to hear if anyone can give a wheel-mouting-surface to wheel-mouting-surface measurement to see if a van rear will work???????

i might try to hit up some yards this weekend and see if i can find one.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score

so i am still waiting to hear if anyone can give a wheel-mouting-surface to wheel-mouting-surface measurement to see if a van rear will work???????

Have one in my backyard, so I walked out and measured: 66 7/8" WMS to WMS

Going in for knee surgery in an hour, so I figured I better do it NOW!

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I have to agree about the SuperDuty Brakes.. I am on the 2nd set of pads, and the factory rotors... with 113000+ miles.... and the factory unit hubs.

Hmmm, my dad's on his 3rd set with 37,000 on the 05, my IDI is still on it's original as far as I know (paper work didn't show any break service but showed everything else).

sassyrel

Reaction score

i might try to hit up some yards this weekend and see if i can find one.

post 60....and a cab and chassis axle is diff yet....

fordf350dually

ih power
Reaction score
my dad had an 01 v10 and my grandfather has an of 6blow they both just ate brakes up. but the 09 v10 isnt bad. 13k all trailer towing miles and they are holding up well. with 12000 pound of cougar 5th wheel. guess they changed the brakes some in 08? i no the wheel lug pattern is now a 8x200mm rather than 170mm

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
The numbers are in the pirate link, but as I read it the wms is the same as a srw axle. They are different animal though being hub centric and not lug centric, though I don't know what that means, and the leafs are only 2.5 inches wide instead of 3.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Hubcentric is where the wheel is centered by the hub. Lugcentric is where the wheels are centered by the wheel studs and lugnuts.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score

The problem i have with the unit hubs is the majority of the trucks i service are all fleet trucks. 4wd, CC dump duallys. They usually start going around the 100-110K mark. which isn't terrible compared to the number of light duty dodge wheel bearings i've changed. The problem gets further compounded by the owner or fleet managers unwillingness to use factory hub bearings. they instead perfer aftermarket bearings which barely last 15K. They tried pawning off some chinese ones on me a few times and they are made so poorly that the abs sensors don't read correctly and make the abs go nuts and activate when you apply the brakes rendering them almost useless with a loaded truck.

As for brakes? I usually toss a set of Bendix Fleet metlock or Motorcraft on, replace rotors at next brake service as they are worn beyond service tolerance. Pads get 20-30k.

As for my personal SD? My trucks are lifted, i run big tires, i tow heavy and since they are "sealed" its a bad recipe for longevity.

My Dana 60 now, i can pull the bearings apart and repack them after submerging the axle. Its one of the nice aspects but i'll take better brakes over the 100K I personally get out of the hubs. Now when i had my 03 Excursion (6.0 basket case) i NEVER had a problem with the bearings in over 175K including the current owner now as the tires stayed close to stock (33's on stock wheels) and i didn't wheel it or tow nearly as heavy) For the majority of Ford Superduty owners, the bearings are tough enough with a perfectly acceptable lifespan. the problem becomes apparent as the Ford Superduty is popular with the lifted crowd. which pushes them past their engineered thresholds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online