rear disc

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Drums have more stopping and holding power, plus the conversion kits suck.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Huh, and I thought disc brakes were an upgrade...why else would vehicle manufacturers switch to 4 wheel disk brakes.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
The switch is a safety thing, disks are more predictable where as drums can/will lock up with out warning.

On Edit: Hence the reason most 4 wheel disk vehicles have hat and rotor setups on the back for the parking brake.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 92 F450 came with rear discs and hydroboost.... can't imagine how I lived with them. My 87 had drums and I NEVER felt I had enough brake, even after making everything new from the backing plates out, including drums.....

Disc is without a doubt better.... hydroboost is without a doubt MUCH MUCH better.

Didn't the E250/350 vans use discs with the early wheel bolt pattern, AND an emergency brake????? Someone who knows please speak up... I have an 88 F250 in rebuild now and I'd sure like to put disc on the rear with a straight out parts change , Ford to Ford.

sassyrel

Reaction score
My 92 F450 came with rear discs and hydroboost.... can't imagine how I lived with them. My 87 had drums and I NEVER felt I had enough brake, even after making everything new from the backing plates out, including drums.....

Disc is without a doubt better.... hydroboost is without a doubt MUCH MUCH better.

Didn't the E250/350 vans use discs with the early wheel bolt pattern, AND an emergency brake????? Someone who knows please speak up... I have an 88 F250 in rebuild now and I'd sure like to put disc on the rear with a straight out parts change , Ford to Ford.

yes they did,,but i dont remember the years...

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score

Are you taking into account that with 4 wheel disks the proportioning is 50/50, whereas with drums it's 60/40... Disks are better in the mud, and have less fade because they cool off better.
As for you're not feeling like you have enough brake on your 87 I would blame the proportioning valve above the axle, bypass it go for a drive and hit the breaks, the back will lock... Fast.

On Edit: The 92 also has a RABS valve, which is slightly better than the proportioning valve because it will (if working correctly) provide much more aggressive breaking then relieve pressure right before the back tires lock up.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Drums have more stopping and holding power, plus the conversion kits suck.

What he said.

The 2 conversion kits for these trucks SUCK. One uses Cadillac Eldorado calipers(they were designed to stop a 4000lb car NOT a 7-8000lb truck. the other one is TSM and while they are SLIGHTLY better, they still SUCK. A properly adjusted drum brake will outstop any disk brake setup on these trucks.

A F-superdutys rear disc brakes are completely different than any disc brakes for pickups. they use a MUCH larger rotor and caliper and they also have the hydroboost along with a 50/50 proportioning