Rear axel seals

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so ive replaced my seals 3 times in the last year if I let my truck sit a week or 2 without driving they leak wth? is going on I know im installing them correctly as ive even done it with someone who has done them before Im using the National one the (better ones) and luckly they have a war. but I was told that no way that my axels could be bad its not installed properly I dont think that I am? Info on this as I have no idea.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No that I have not would that solve the problem? Its comes out the back side of both drums and the right holds longer than the left. The oils are always fresh. I also rebuilt the rear end so idk why its doing this. Also I drive around 60-85 miles a day around 400-600 miles a week. Not that it matters but just stating that when I use her I do drive alot she is mainly the DD as shes not to ******* fuel.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mel,

If I do not want to replace bearings...what is the minimum parts required to convert to the NEW seal setup?

Is this a "Ford" only seal? If so what is prices for both sides as I need to or would like to convert to the new seals on my axle before installation into Bronco

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
If I do not want to replace bearings...what is the minimum parts required to convert to the NEW seal setup?

Is this a "Ford" only seal? If so what is prices for both sides as I need to or would like to convert to the new seals on my axle before installation into Bronco

Bearing comes with the kit... there is a slinger that goes outboard of the bearing, so the bearing has to be changed to the thinner style. Uses your existing race. These are around $100 per side from Ford. I replaced my "Scot seal" with one of these and it fixed my truck.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure the housing vent is not plugged............Rear comes up to operating temperature, oil/air expands from the heat and builds pressure. If the vent is plugged and the pressure builds up enough, the weakest place for the pressure to vent is the hub seals.

Dave

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The vent is located and is part of the brake line fitting bolted to the axle housing. The hose that comes off the center of it and hides up at the frame rail is the part you want to make sure is clear. That bolt is where the holes is drilled thru so pressure can escape and not push out the gear oil at the bearings. Sometimes just the hose gets bugs plugging it. Nice place for a wasp nest too. The nest is warm... Its already made to fit. Just lay and egg and install some food for the baby. Cap it off and nature takes care of the rest..

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my last truck I had a leak problem and I bought a "speedi-sleeve" for the spindle seal surface and a new seal and it is still going (last I talked to the new owner) without a leak many years later.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stole this picture off the internet. It is typical of most rear vents. The hose with the worm clamp is the axle housing vent. The other lines are for the brakes (no need to mess with them). The vent hose is clamped to a hollow bolt. Make sure the bolt and the hose are not plugged. If needed the hollow bolt can be removed without causing any problems to the brake lines.

Dave

Attachments

• wmvent-tube.jpg
    wmvent-tube.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 105

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Hey guys so ive replaced my seals 3 times in the last year if I let my truck sit a week or 2 without driving they leak wth? is going on I know im installing them correctly as ive even done it with someone who has done them before Im using the National one the (better ones) and luckly they have a war. but I was told that no way that my axels could be bad its not installed properly I dont think that I am? Info on this as I have no idea.

just out of curiosity, how did you go about tightening down the rear axle bearings? The relationship to the sitting time has me curious.