Really cold starts? (down to -30F)

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to be able to start my IDI down to -30F, without being plugged in. Severe winters by me, I need to be able to get the truck started after work (where I cannot plug in).

I have changed the GP's to push button, I plan to go to a AC 12G (I will preburn all of them in so I know swelling won't occur) for nice long burns. And I may add 2 extra batteries... I even picked up an intake grid heater for a cummins, in case the previous mentioned attempts don't work.

Anyone think I am on the right track? Yeah I know I bought a nasty cold blooded beast, but it was a hell of a deal for the condition. And getting home from work was an afterthought.

If all else fails, ether for the few nights a year we get that cold.

Oh and does propane help? I thought that was the reason the old WD-40 formula worked as a starting fluid.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
First of all only use motorcraft glow plugs that way you wont even take the chance of swelling, next what shape is the injectors and the injection pump in? Adding 2 extra batteries would be a good thing since you wont be able to plug it in, the cummins grid heater is a good idea if you can find a way to fasten it in the air stream, always keep a good dose of diesel klean anti gel or some other good anti-gel in both tanks that way it wont gel on you, as for propane probly not going to help only time we usaully use propane is for more power.

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GP's are fine, I just don't want to be stranded because of the sissy 6v system.

And I know the IDI will not start down to -30F as OEM. Single digits on the factory GP system.

IP is fine (maybe needs dynamic timing), injectors are enroute. Current injectors all sound different with a steth, some leakers no doubt.

Grid heater from the cummins is a fab in progress, I've got 3" ID steel tube welded to a plate that will be welded to the cleaner dish. I've only got to invest in some ANL fuse boxes for both 120 amp elements, then wire the works to a push button slaved to the GP solenoid. The whole setup will be fugly, but the motor isn't really a show piece.

I've read extensively about the GP issue with swelling, but I'd doubt I could burn a motorcraft GP for up to 30 seconds without destruction. I thought only autolites swelled. AC Delco were up the scale in quality?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i know of someone cranking a lowered compression idi in about -14 on only glow plugs it wasnt happy at all but it cranked, id say glow for 15-20 seconds while the grid heater is heating up then give her a try

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How low was the compression? Starting temps maybe motor specific, because the PO couldn't get it started below single digits, and she is very cranky in the 30s (where we are at now :mad:).

This is my first diesel, I am also curious what oil should be used at those temps? I'd guess 5w-40 HD synthetic.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Someone suggested some time ago to plug it at home and then at work start it every few hours to keep the oil warmer than a real cold start. The grid heater should help but at those temps I would look for way to keep the oil warm and away from wearing the engine faster.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I've started mine down to -25C with just the GP's...Totally stock system with 2 key cycles of the GP's.....A little cranky but it always starts....Good batteries is the key element....Might be worth adding a little gas to your fuel for a little extra kick. A little bit would go a long way.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
How low was the compression? Starting temps maybe motor specific, because the PO couldn't get it started below single digits, and she is very cranky in the 30s (where we are at now :mad:).

This is my first diesel, I am also curious what oil should be used at those temps? I'd guess 5w-40 HD synthetic.

Compression was around 20.5:1 Stock comression is around 22.5:1 except the A model 6.9 which is 20.7:1, my white truck with 6.9 that i sold never failed to crank, only trouble i had out of it was when it got to -15 and didnt plug it in, it was pissed off at me but it finally fired, wish i had recorded it also forgot to pour anti gel in it so i would say if i had put some in it it would have cranked alot better, it was funny tho it turned over just about as fast as it always does, it had 2 1100 cold cranking amp bateries in it, and all good cables and a good starter and new glow plugs, it was a damn good truck, only 100000 origanal miles when i sold it:cry:

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
If you want some better batteries go with Group 31s! Synthetic oil would also help allot for starting at that temperature.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have started mine at -15 without plugging it in. One thing you could also do is put a grill cover on it when parked at work. This will keep some of the heat in the engine when you get there and when you get out you won't have the cold air blowing in your engine compartment all day. Also don't forget to double dose with anti gel. If it says to use 8 ounces, use 16.

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've started mine down to -25C with just the GP's...Totally stock system with 2 key cycles of the GP's.....A little cranky but it always starts....Good batteries is the key element....Might be worth adding a little gas to your fuel for a little extra kick. A little bit would go a long way.

Is that on a 6.9? If it's a 7.3 I wouldn't think there's a difference in terms of starting ability.

Maybe all I will need is the 12v GP system and extra batts after all.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
mine had the group 31s, and what do you mean i thought all of these had a 12v system:confused:, my 6.9 had stock glow plug system it would always fire within the second turn of the motor even at 15-20, and when i said -15 earlier i ment farrienhight not cecius, and that was with no block heater

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have started mine at -15 without plugging it in. One thing you could also do is put a grill cover on it when parked at work. This will keep some of the heat in the engine when you get there and when you get out you won't have the cold air blowing in your engine compartment all day. Also don't forget to double dose with anti gel. If it says to use 8 ounces, use 16.

So the additives in the northern winter diesel blend isn't enough?

I work 12 hour shifts, from the time I arrive to the time I leave the truck sits almost 13 hours. Would the cover still help to retain heat after that much time? I know there is a lot of mass in those motors, but 13 hours at -30 sustained temps is brutal.

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine had the group 31s, and what do you mean i thought all of these had a 12v system:confused:, my 6.9 had stock glow plug system it would always fire within the second turn of the motor even at 15-20, and when i said -15 earlier i ment farrienhight not cecius, and that was with no block heater

My understanding is it was a 6v system due to the controller, it may be just the GP's that are 6v however

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online