Read then considerand advise from your experience please

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If your engine runs fine, you are hearing funny noises, and the alternator's not charging when you hear those noises, I'd be looking at your alternator first. Unless you find some other clues.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.9 with the C-6 or the E4OD or an Allison trans?
If you get noises at idle, remove the fan belt and start the engine again. Noise gone?
Problem in a bearing somewhere. Alt? P/S? W/P?
Alt not charging means a burnt fusible link?
Check those?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Thoughts -

By chance did you fuel up earlier in the day?

Hissing sound -
1) Vacuum leak? Check for a cracked hose or something going on with the vacuum pump in the engine compartment. Perhaps the guy who did the work accidentally broke a vacuum hose.
2) Check you cdr valve, maybe it’s stuck and causing a noise.
3) If louder in the cab check the brake booster or the heating cooling system for a vacuum leak.

Knocking noise -
1) Agree with IDIBronco look hard at the alternator, vacuum pump, and associated belts. Could be related to your alternator work.
2) I have heard injectors can develop a knock, so it would increase with rpm.
3) Other probable issues to listen for are a lazy lifter or a bad rod or crank bearing. A stethoscope could help track that down.

My earlier question is I regards to if you perhaps got a bad tank of diesel and it is not burning correctly or has gas mixed with it. Occasionally members end up with gasoline in there diesel, most believe it was the gas stations fault, not theirs. But it often damages the engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron