Bad squeal from engine

Toocheap86420

Reaction score
I bought an 86 6.9 idi f250 with an engine in really bad shape ran for a bit then lost power then slowly died won't start now and has a squeal from the engine https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bGl2z_98vukXjHmcBriicQbTA06w2Arn/view?usp=drivesdk
I don't know if drive files are allowed?
Here some of the old picks to show how bad it was
Last pic was after I cleaned and changed parts ran ok then
Just want some ideas
You must be registered for see images attach

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
The pics are confusing.

When you got it was the intake on or off?
Who poured a bag of manure on the top of the bare engine?
What did you do to clean out the oil pan as that dirt/manure and rust would have made it down to the crank and oil pan.

Where does the squeal come from? Hard to say what the squeal is, but if coming from inside the crankcase (Not an accessory like a water pump or IP.) it would be advised to pull and inspect. Perhaps it is still rebuildable.

Toocheap86420

Reaction score
Sorry for not explaining the pics better. But it was literally like that under there it looked like animals had been living there for years. the metal was so corroded that holes were in the valley pan and in take manifold.

To clean the oil pan I tried flushing a couple gallons though it. I also tried to suck out stuff from pan with a tube though the drain holes in the v of the engine. I know it wasn't smart to run it like that but I have no way of pulling the engine until I can get it to move to a garage.

For the squeal. I can't tell were it's coming from I have no belts on the engine. It didn't seem to bee the ip. I think it could be one of many worse cases i just can't really find what sounds like that.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your committed to the truck I would tow it to a garage and pull it at this point. It's gotta be so full of crud in there.

Toocheap86420

Reaction score
I still haven't decided if I'm going to put much more in this truck. but it did run and probably would run now on starting fluid. From what I've been looking at a used 6.9 might be easier than rebuilding this one.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes. I also think that it's time to pull that engine. Going by your video, it sounds like it may more issues than just the squeal.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a pretty low tech guy, but I got this thing about "paying the piper". I'd definitely pull the pan, but then I'd do as little as possible to bring it to life. And then I'd drive it for a while. After a bit, when I felt she'd "paid the piper" then I'd go the distance kinda. But Id probably still do things in stages. I know it's unconventional, but over seven years I've experimened with 3 transmissions, 3 engines, a bigger fuel cell and now WMO. I've decided almost exactly what I want. And I'm about to lay it up and really get down to business. So my theory is don't marry the motor you don't want to spend a long time with.......I mean after all....... you might land a turbo 7.3 and boy howdy that little turbo do add the punch!

Toocheap86420

Reaction score
I know rebuilding the engine is necessary but even after draining the oil and coolant just to see, there is no metal or cross-contamination. I did another compression test and everything was fine. later I noticed the starter mount had cracked. the engine will not start even with starting fluid and the IP pump seems to work fine. I did notice the oil gauge will not respond to any signal I sent it. When it was running I wasn't checking it at all, if it did starve does anyone have ideas on what the loud squeal is. Sounds like the noise a warped drum brake would make. It's loud enough to be felt almost but will just go away sometimes. If the engine is trashed is there any point in taking the valley pan off bought it 2 weeks ago new from orileys.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If the engine is trashed is there any point in taking the valley pan off bought it 2 weeks ago new from orileys.
Yes. You can reuse it on another engine.
When an engine is run low (starved) on oil, the first things to see excessive wear is the rocker arms and pushrods. From there, it would be your cam bearings and finally your crankshaft bearings. Unless it would be a cam bearing, I don't know what would be making the squealing noise. Another possibility just came into my mind. It's kind of a stretch, but I wonder if this was your IP that's making the noise. Unless the oil level is pretty low, it's EXTREMELY hard to run these engines without enough oil pressure. The oil pump is a very high volume pump and it's gear driven right off of the crankshaft. Aside from a plugged pick up tube, I don't think that you could run your engine low enough on oil to cause major damage.
One last though. I know that it's not very important at this time, but I rewatched your video of the noise. It sounds like your starter is turning the engine over kind of slowly. It may be an issue in the future.