Does the engine sound loud? 1986 F250 with about 130K - Is timing necessary?

Does the engine sound OK?

• yes, but you may want to do the timing someday

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • yes, but you should do the timing soon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no, your going to bend metal or shoot a piston through the block

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dday

Reaction score
I really don’t want more work. I also don't want to be stranded with my family somewhere far away. Hopefully y'all tell me the engine sounds just fine. Diesels are louder than an old _____.

Finally got it to start on a dime and run smooth. I should have listened and changed the 30 year old water separator/filter before doing all the return lines and everything else multiple times, as many have said often...It only took me 5 years to listen and fix the actual problem, dealing with hard starts, funky idling and hesitation at full throttle. Now I just want to enjoy the beast.

Anyhow, I think the timing could be off but what do y’all think? Might not be able to tell with the videos but I tried to capture it running cold after starting and after properly warmed up to about 175F.

Hell, I never did the timing, and I would like to learn. Another excuse to buy a few tools. I still need to do the timing one day if there's anyone near Los Angeles. Nearest person on the thread was in Modesto a few years back. Only if you folks think its necessary right now though...Hard to get a family of surfers to go inland...

The low power I can live with it is very slow carrying 2400 lbs on its back up a steep hill I don't mind as log as it runs for a long time and hauls heavy stuff for me. Power is good on flat land for what it is:)

Here’s a link to it running just after a cold start:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AxQnrTuoa_CIGNkR73rHtrnXuZuWiFam/view?usp=drivesdk

How does this 86 sound to you after starting up cold? Quiets down a little when warm.

Here's the other clip after it got up to about 175F:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wsMBX5aBk5Hml3MvxYF2m6Hae6Y89bQw/view?usp=sharing

Here's the stuff I learned the hard way:
1.Replace water separator/fuel filter before all else if it is hard to start (don't replace everything else in the return fuel system and add a lift pump as I did, until you first do something about that stupid separator)
2.Replace the thermostat before replacing fan clutch and radiator if fan clutch isn't turning on and it runs hot (don't replace fan clutch as I did). The thermostat was mangled and that was causing the problem with the cooling system, it wasn't getting hot enough at the location of the switch to trigger the fan clutch due to improper circulation!:)

Thank you for your time.

Much respect:)

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Sounds perfectly normal to me. They are extra noisy when cold.

If you want noisy (and hot) get an IDI van. :rolleyes: The doghouse cover only does so much for the noise, and doesn't hold back the heat very well either.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he doesn't get on very often anymore, but @icanfixall is down in southern California i believe. and as far as I know he was the first to lend out timing meters as a service on this site. I don't think he lends them out anymore, but if you went to him I am sure he could help you.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he doesn't get on very often anymore, but @icanfixall is down in southern California i believe. and as far as I know he was the first to lend out timing meters as a service on this site. I don't think he lends them out anymore, but if you went to him I am sure he could help you.
Don't forget about the 'Timing Registry' forum under Tech Articles. Long list of volunteers from around the nation that is willing to either lend/rent equipment or do the timing for you.

TIMING SERVICE REGISTRY

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=72600&share_type=t&link_source=app

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online