Rally Convoy Spare Parts Inventory....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those of you driving many miles or just a short rally trip. What are you taking for spare parts and tools to install spare parts. For me I carry a spare serpentine belt, tensioner, idler pulley, vacuum pump pulley and installer. Plus 2 filter filters and a complete return line kit.. When I went 2200 miles to the Ky rally I had a spare injection pump too. Just wondering what others are taking for that just in case road trip breakdown. I'm not making the rally this year and its killing me more than ever once again. I'm begining to really hate this time of year because I can't attend the rally. Once you attend one of these your addicted for life and it hard to kick the habit only afte one fix. Its something I will never kick no matter what I do or think. Good luck to all those making the trip and you will understand how I feel about all the great members of this club at each rally. I'll drink one to you guys and familes....:cheers:

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my experience has been that the thing that breaks is invariably the one you have no spare for. Or better yet, you have the part but not the tool you need.....

I fully agree about bringing spare parts, just that Murphy's law seems to play pretty strongly into it.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In this day and age of "we can have it tomorrow", having a good inventory of spare parts will make the difference between fixing the problem alongside the road, or paying for a tow-truck and motel while waiting for the wrong part to come in "tomorrow".

Just like the big chain department stores, although a double-edged blessing to those of us who must live on $160 bucks a week, the Advance/Autozone-type chain stores have ruined the old-timey dependable auto-parts business.

Like Gary, I must sit here at home and read about your road-trip adventures; alas, $4/gallon fuel and the rest of Obamanomics makes such endeavors impossible for me.

I was fortunate that the rallye was held in KY a few years ago and I was able to attend.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On more bit of wisdom I will add :

Especially when traveling in convoy, whether it be two trucks or a dozen, it is good business to have at least one stout tow-bar, plus matching tow-bar brackets strongly mounted to every truck in the group.

While I wouldn't look forward to flat-towing another heavy truck half-way across America, a tow-bar is a much safer alternative to a log-chain and will get a dis-abled truck off the main highway and maybe even to it's destination.

On really long journeys, one in the convoy should pull a goose-neck with a spare ROAD-READY truck, capable of towing any trailer in the group, including the goose-neck.

Should a truck lay completely down, it can be loaded on the trailer and the spare truck put into action.

This spare truck need not be an extra truck, but one of the trucks that would have been driven otherwise.

The fuel that the hauled truck isn't using will be a lot more than the extra bit required to drag the trailer.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I plan on bringing my "Bucket o Parts" that has a vaccum pump, injector lines, extra battery cable, and a gaggle of tools. It appears I'm rolling North to Michigan solo, so, any issues that come up, I'll be going it alone (like last year LOL). But, I'm planning for the worst, and expected the best.

Damon and Gary, you two will be missed at the rally and I hope both of you can come to another down the road.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I also carry a spare vacuum pump too.... For those just in case isues. Really only need vacuum for the vents and cruise control but its nice to have vents and cruise on long trips..