R&D idi return rail hose route

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's happenin guys. Been a while since I've been on here but I do still run i.d.i.

Quick question and I couldn't find it.... but I own a set of these lovely billitt return rails and want to see everyone's return routing they did. I'll display mine later. I feel as if I have a return issue.

Thanks in advance bigblue85

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That I know off, only one guy here had them. He went another route after running them for a short time, iirc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Post a picture of how you got them routed and we can tell you if that’s your issue. The way you have them routed is not very critical as long as each injector and pump has a path to tank, getting it to not leak is another thing.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those billet returns seem like such a good idea that I'm surprised they aren't in common use. The plastic olives and hoses seem to be one of our real weak points. Are the injectors lined up precisely enough that the billet returns are practical?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Those billet returns seem like such a good idea that I'm surprised they aren't in common use. The plastic olives and hoses seem to be one of our real weak points. Are the injectors lined up precisely enough that the billet returns are practical?
Actually.......
This could be found in a search. Was quite a lengthy discussion or few done here. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's why I bought a 50-pack of viton o-rings and collected all my caps from all my old engines, and keep a small stash of them in my van just in case I get a tiny return line leak. I'd love to get Justin's upgrade, but I just have way too many back-up caps to ignore them.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually.......
This could be found in a search. Was quite a lengthy discussion or few done here. Lol

Site search didn't turn up much, but duckduckgo found several old threads. Sounds like they've worked for some, but never caught on with most.

Probably the most interesting things I found was Macrobb saying that wheel bearing grease on the o-rings was the magic ingredient, and that the o-rings are viton 2-111--- 7/16" ID X 5/8" OD. I just ordered a 50 pack of them. I already have a big tub of bearing grease.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you one some I think I have a set laying around. Never could get them to seal reliably, even with the engine out of the truck. If you got a turbo they are a nightmare to install on the truck imo.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
If you one some I think I have a set laying around. Never could get them to seal reliably, even with the engine out of the truck. If you got a turbo they are a nightmare to install on the truck imo.

PM me, I might be interested in em.

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, horrible weather at the moment but mine went on slick with lots of white lube, no leaks at all but I actually had a restriction in the return it was shipping plastic stuck in one of the lines!!

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as routing goes, the most important thing is that the return line from the IP has no real restriction, it has a good path.
If you have backpressure, you'll end up with retarded timing and eventually the engine will die if the return pressure becomes high enough.

The injector returns aren't critical - the amount of diesel coming out of them is tiny(ever run an engine without the caps and watched?) - if pressure builds up, it's going to just find a way out(and leak), not keep the injector from working.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never could get them to seal reliably, even with the engine out of the truck. If you got a turbo they are a nightmare to install on the truck imo.

This must be one of the few benefits of the van IDI setup over the truck setup. When I pull the doghouse, I can get really good access to the rear six injectors, and the front two aren't too much trouble from the rear. I've had really good luck with return lines and o-rings. I almost never have a leaker, and if I do, it's pretty easy to swap out with a new set of o-rings and cap with the dog house off.

But as for things easy to work on in the IDI van, it's a short list.

jpw

Reaction score
sorry for poor cell phone picture, all I got access to at the moment.

Center of Passenger rail connect with hard Line to Center of drivers rail, end of each rail is plugged except for front of drivers which has hard line to T on pump and then temporary rubber hose down to frame return line.

Not really proven yet only been on there since June.

HTH

J

You must be registered for see images attach

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Had the same problem. Red scotch Brite on the holes and have never had a problem since. They are very tight tolerance when purchased and scotch brite on the holes seemed to open up the tolerances enough to seal without shredding the o ring.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same problem. Red scotch Brite on the holes and have never had a problem since. They are very tight tolerance when purchased and scotch brite on the holes seemed to open up the tolerances enough to seal without shredding the o ring.
Justin has a how to vid on installing his rails and he says to run a red scotch bright pad in each hole. Might be where most people’s leaks come from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk