R-134 accumulator?

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It remember reading somewhere that someone put a r-134 accumulator in a r-12 truck to be more efficient with r-134 but I just cannot remember what truck that came out of it where I read it from
Does anyone have insite?

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Condenser not accumulator. The newer trucks had a little bit more efficient condenser design but they have after market ones now that are the same. The factory style was a serpentine style condenser. The newer trucks use a parallel flow condenser. Rock auto list both styles for your 86.

Really though if you want a R12 system to work better with R134a you need to change the orifice tube. The factory R12 tube color is blue. You want a Red or an Orange one for R134a.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
You can actually do both. I've done it.

The 134a accumulator is a manifold cooling style condenser, where the refrigerant goes across all coils at once, whereas r12 is a singular loop, and goes through one coil at a time.

The only major difference in the accumulator is having the r134a has the updated fitting already. The return line to the compressor is practically the same.

You'll still need an adapter fitting from the expansion valve to the newer condenser. The other side fitting on the drivers side is the same between both systems.

I grabbed all my parts off of a 1996-1998 f150 with the 5.0/5.8 in them.

Jim993

Reaction score
My truck was converted from R12 to 134a in Spring 2020. Same condenser, new compressor (old was leaking) and new dryer. Works great. August 2020 we drove from CA to AZ, 109 degrees at Needles hauling 1000 pounds in the bed. We were and are cool in the truck..

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why did I have to jinx my self so hard by asking an ac related questions
Today driving home my ac stopped working I checked the low side pressure 130 psi WOW how does that even happen I drained all of it out tried to fill it but only got maybe 2 inches jn before the gauge says 60 psi? What in the devil is going on?
I hot wired the compressor it still does the thing

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have gauges? This may help.
You must be registered for see images attach

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was up poking around the internet last night till 2am
and came across this YT Video on the AC Systems. Watched
the first few min of it,, saved it on my Desk top for later.
Finally had to hit the sack.
Read a few comments and seems this guy is on it.
Maybe will help, hope so.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Goat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.