Quick timing question

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the injection lines need to be loosened to rotate the pump? or is the movement not enough to put them into a bind?
I finally got my hands on a timing set and found out I'm at 5 deg, so I'm thinking about line width is right.
and it needs to rotate to the drivers side? correct.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Yes, you can loosen the lines to achieve the amount of rotation you need, just tighten them back up. To advance the timing, the pump needs to be turned toward the passenger side. Good luck timing it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above posting is all true. Only loosen the lines that are easy to reach at the injection pump. Then remember to retighten them or there will be fuel going all over the place if the engine starts. Usually we like to recommend making a mark before you move the pump. That way you know where you were and its easy to return it to the former position. What type of timing device and method are you useing. Pluse or luminosity.. Pluse is the line clamp on the injector line and luminosity is a probe that placed in the glow plug hole. Pluse is always advanced timing where lumi probe timing is always retarded timing. Hope this helps you understand. how this works..

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.
It's the pulse method using a snap-on MT(some 4 digit number), read it and tried to remember but of course I was having more fun trying to figure out where 0 was.
Started with the light set at 9adv and backed it off until the 0 line and the damper line lined up at 5adv @ 2K.
As Mel's article says, it starts and runs good (@5adv), does OK for power, but I'm sure there is more there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle