STATIC TIMING 7.3

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings one and All.
Static timing set
Looking down at the IP from the front of the truck.
I have a scribed line on the Timing Gear Cover
I have a second scribed line on the Injection pump.
As you are looking down, from the front,
Does the scribed line on the pump go to the right OR Left
Of the line on the timing gear cover?
Naturally a dimes width just to start before the dynamic timing is accomplished.
What say you "Oh So Wise People"?

gandalf

Reaction score
In order to advance the timing the line on the IP should rotate toward the passenger side. The line on the gear cover is stationary.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have a scribed line on the Timing Gear Cover
I have a second scribed line on the Injection pump.
As you are looking down, from the front,
Does the scribed line on the pump go to the right OR Left
Of the line on the timing gear cover?

In order to advance the timing the line on the IP should rotate toward the passenger side. The line on the gear cover is stationary.
What is being asked here is how to set the timing before running the engine. The lines are only to get the engine running in the factory. Once someone's been into the pump, the line means nothing anymore. You "should" be somewhat correct with the line on the pump to the passenger's side of the line on the gear housing. When the timing's set right, that line may end up on either side of the line on the housing.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Just get it close, then set it with a timing light. Scribe doesn't mean anything.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Static timing being set prior to firing and it has to be close enough to run.
I dug out the fancy timing light contraption and scraped the paint off of #1 injector pipe, connected the 'Jen-U-Wine, A-Dapter' and noted the small wire going to the "Jen-U-Wine, A-Dapter' was on the bottom and not the easier top to get a signal to work.
I also found that my 5/16 magnetic probe tube was fairly well buggered up and I had to drag out the Snappy-on timing light with adjustable advance. Long story short, the timing mark is about a dimes width away from the stationary mark on the gear cover on the passenger side as you look down facing the firewall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86