Quick Question

IDIdiesel3

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to diesels and I'm soon buying an 83 F-250 with the 6.9 IDI that needs new injectors. Someone offered me a set of 7.3l powerstroke injectors for a good price will they work on the 6.9l? Thanks for any help

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, they wont work. These IDIs are InDirect Injection engines. The powerstrokes are direct injection.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not only are they direct injection injectors, but they are activated with a high pressure oil feed.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly they will not work. We have a completely different mechanical fuel injection compared to the psd engines. they have an electric hydraulic injection that wont work at less than 20,000 lbs of injector pressure. the injectors are opened and closed by an electric current. Our injectors are a spring opening and closing injector. Its a very slow old type of fuel injection. It still works fine. Our pressure is 1850 to 2200 lbs.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If by "offering", he means free, you could sell those PSD injectors and buy several sets of IDI injectors with the proceeds. Shoot, even PSD cores for rebuilds cost more than new IDI injectors.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats a good point. Heres what I would do about the psd injectors. Find a comprablesset on ebay. See what they sell for. If you can buy them and resell them you might make a profit and be able to get several sets or simply pocket the profit after buying a set of Delphi Bb codes.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
READ THE FAQ AND TECH SECTIONS....you have much info in there to address the newness you have

Welcome to OB

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Unless you've seen them, they could still be idi injectors.
I've seen a lot of people call the 7.3 idi a Powerstroke.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk