Q: Turbo Rebuild: Replace Oil Feed Required?

lakesurfer

Reaction score
The oil feed line: Must I replace it? I am rebuilding my factory TC4305 Garrett turbo. I bought and read the Smothers "Turbo Rebuild Guide and Shop Manual - Garrett T3 - T04B - T04E" and have have this question:

The guide states unequivocally that the oil feed line *must* be replaced. "No exceptions" (Since my line is a metal, pre-formed, factory part and both typ4 and Agnem sell olives for it, I think it can be cleaned and reused.) But just to be sure: how do those with success rebuilding turbos feel about this?

Thank you!

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There must be some truth to it when I did the turbo on my Jetta TDI in order to retain the warranty on it I had to replace the oil feed line a fresh oil change and filter before start up all I can think is there is a chance for bearing contamination so better safe than sorry

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had typ4 rebuild my turbo, and he supplied the replacement "olive" seals for the turbo oil feed line. I made sure the oil feed line (the OEM metal tubing) was clean inside before I installed it and had no issues. I also made sure that the adapter fitting between the block and the feed line was clean, and I cleaned around the block port that adapter/feed line connect to.

lakesurfer

Reaction score
I had typ4 rebuild my turbo, and he supplied the replacement "olive" seals for the turbo oil feed line. I made sure the oil feed line (the OEM metal tubing) was clean inside before I installed it and had no issues. I also made sure that the adapter fitting between the block and the feed line was clean, and I cleaned around the block port that adapter/feed line connect to.

Makes sense.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I sell my turbos I include some warranty literature and an installation guide. This is what I have on oil feeds:
You must be registered for see images attach

In most cases my customers convert over to stainless braided lines or buy a vibrant feed kit from me.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No reason to unless there's damage or contamination. I suspect that a CYA in case of engine failure having caused contamination of the system which would destroy the new bearings if not fixed.... but I'm not sure how you would containimnate the feed size that badly unless the oil filter was missing or failed, and in that case all the passages in the block would need the same treatment.

Flush the line out and make sure it's clean and go from there...

lakesurfer

Reaction score
No reason to unless there's damage or contamination. I suspect that a CYA in case of engine failure having caused contamination of the system which would destroy the new bearings if not fixed.... but I'm not sure how you would containimnate the feed size that badly unless the oil filter was missing or failed, and in that case all the passages in the block would need the same treatment.

Flush the line out and make sure it's clean and go from there...

Nothing grenaded. This is purely preventive and convenient since I had it off anyway. So this guidance makes sense. Good thing too. Not sure where I'd find that part anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online