Puzzling Boost Issue.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a question about boost. I have a Banks Sidewinder (wastegated), and I only see 7-8psi max and I really have to try to get that (WFO on a hill). I've already shortend the wastegate rod all the way. I know most guys see higher boost numbers with less effort. I usually only see 4-5 psi. :confused:

My Max EGT was 850 climbing a mountain in Tn going to the IDI Rally last summer. Most of the time I never see 600.

I called Banks and they said shorten the wastegate rod (did that before I called them) and turn up the fuel (did that with Ken's IP and Stage 1's in June last year).

The other issue is my boost gauge sticks alittle. It will just jump up to 2-3 psi when the turbo starts making boost. It may be innacurate, but the EGT's aren't high enough to make me think it is off by much. I think that if I were really making 10-12 psi, the EGT's would be much higher than 500-600?

What do you think? Any suggestions for more boost? Do you think I should crank up Ken's IP some more?

A "friend" of mine suggested just "unpluging the wastegate tube" and "see what happens.":peelout :rotflmao That sounds a little scary, but, it is sounding more and more tempting all the time.:D

I PM'ed Ken with this same question, but, he doesn't get on-line very often. We do you guys think?

P.S. My wife is 9 months pregnant.........I'll post pictures when she's born.:cheers:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Heath,

Check around on all areas that have compressed air going thru them, boots and intake hat and exhaust. If there's a even the slightest leak that will cause ya to loose boost.
You should be seeing much more than that.:confused:

How's the smoke output?:D

Oh and congrats.:thumbsup:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is your pyro located? For running a DPS pump, those numbers are way low.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron, good point on the leak issue. I've looked at the joints on the turbine side of things and see no evidence of leaking that I can see.... no carbon/shoot at the joints and I havn't heard the classic ticking sound of leaking exhaust under the hood. And on the compressor side, I have a the CDR hooked up and trust me, oil residue coats the everything downstream of the compressor. I've not seen any oily stuff leaking around the compressor to intake hat joint nor have I seen any at the hat to manifold joint. I may be missing something, but I don't think I'm leaking on either side of the turbo.

Mel, the Pyro is preturbo at the Banks provided site on the turbine up pipe, You can see it on the photo of my turbo in my TDS pics to get a better idea of where it is located. It is behind the DP, the yellow and red wires that are hanging over the DP. I know others are seeing more boost and higher EGT's. I'm stumped!:puke: I'm hoping Ken will see this and chime in.

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Agnem said:
For running a DPS pump, those numbers are way low.

Yeah, even low for a stock pump turned up. Wish I saw numbers like that.:confused:

When ya get into it Heath are you seeing some good smoke?
Wonder if'n she just needs some more fuel.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the wastegate linkage and make sure that it moves freely. A stuck open wastegate will severely limit boost.

If it moves freely, reconnect the linkage and unhook the hose to the actuator and test drive to see if boost numbers improve. If they do, it's possible that the wastegate actuator spring is broken, allowing the actuator to move at low pressures.

Don't completely disable the wastegate except for temporary testing purposes. That's like bypassing a circuit breaker in your house. Yea the breaker won't trip anymore, but the next time there's a problem your house may burn down.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the wastegate linkage and make sure that it moves freely. A stuck open wastegate will severely limit boost.

If it moves freely, reconnect the linkage and unhook the hose to the actuator and test drive to see if boost numbers improve. If they do, it's possible that the wastegate actuator spring is broken, allowing the actuator to move at low pressures.

The wastegate will open with gravity alone with the linkage off. I noticed that when shortening the adjuster. A bad spring could be a good source as well. I just havn't had the stones to unhook the wastegate yet. If I have time, I'll try it tonight.:eek: :)

Ron, it will smoke some, but it's not rolling coal by any stretch of the imagination. Turning up Ken's IP...........I may be the first to try that.:D -Flame Thr

Heath

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry too much about having the wastegate disabled temporarily, it's not like the boost is going to shoot through the roof in seconds. The wastegate really only opens under very heavy loads where the boost gets high. (Just like the aforementioned circuit breaker, it rarely actually does anything. But when it does, it saves your ass).

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah, you wouldn't be the first...Scotty did that, but he blew his head gaskets and cracked up the block.....he really wanted a Cummins anyway..he just needed a good excuse. I thought everyone turned up the DPS pump to begin with?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Heath,

You maybe on to something because when I got my banks system new I played with the wastegate and it was about all I could do to move it... so I thinks that you might have found your problem.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Travis, Sorry man, I was pretty unclear about the wastegate. The actual wastegate in the turbine housing will open with gravity alone with the rod/linkage removed. The actual rod on the wastegate tuna can is a real bi**h to move. The spring seems pretty strong to me.

Well I unhooked the wastegate last night and took it for a spin. I can hit 12 psi at WFO (and I mean really pushing the motor, red-lining each gear). Otherwise, there was no real reason to have the wastegate on the turbo if that's all she'll do. I guess this could be another story pulling a load, but that'll have to wait for another time.

The Pyro only got to 800. I still think something is off. Others have pegged their boost gauges with the wategate delete, plus the EGT's where lower than I expected.

What do you think? Keep looking for a reason for the low boost? Continue with the wastegate delete and crank up the fuel? Try calling Banks again? Try getting Ken on the phone for advice?

Thanks for the help guys. Keep the ideas coming.:hail