Puzzling Boost Issue.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Heat, I would check the gauges for accuracy. I had a boost gauge before that would not mark the real boost the engine was making and after new connections and new gauge the readings where so much different. Maybe it is just a leak somewhere.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Two questions:

1) Why? Was the boost/EGT low like my truck?:D

2) What are you seeing with your boost and EGT's with the wastegate delete.

Heath

1)Answ: My boost/EGTs were normal.......bout 7-8 lbs NOTE: my pump is turned all the way up far as the screw will turn without breaking something..........yes i have to pay attention to the EGT's while pulling something or passing someone/accelerating hard

2)I can peg my 15# gauge with hard acceleration........EGT's will climb to 1000 fast which is where i start keeping an eye on it.....i will push it to 1150 for brief periods of time but always back out.

Granted the way I've got things running is not the best for someone pulling a big trailer daily because if you wanted to have a truck left you'd better be watching the gages like you watch the road "all the time". HOWEVER, I like the extra power and it is not detrimental as long as youre paying attention. I really cant harness all the power available since EGTs get in the way. But there is extra power until they do.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ez, I thought about that, but my EGT's are so low, I'd be suprised that the gauge is that far off. Where you EGT's higher? I mean, was that your clue the boost gauge was off? I just assumed that since the EGT's are so low that the boost I see on the gauge is probally accurate??? What do you think?

D. Cowboy,
I can't peg the boost gauge and my EGT's only climbed to 800 with the wategate delete. I don't know man, this thing is starting to drive me crazy.

Heath

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
Those are super low EGT's. My stock factory turbo will get up to 1000 deg F quite easily. I know the banks setup has less backpressure, but that's a huge difference. Even if your turbo isn't making full boost you should see smoke and high egt's. If your pyro is accurate you've got a fueling issue.

best of luck

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, no news to report. I've been getting killed at the work and have not had much time to screw with the thing as my wife just had our first baby (8lbs, 6oz little girl).

I don't know if I should wait to talk with Ken before messing with the IP. He asked that I call before turning up the DPS pump. He said going to far on the fuel screw will damage the IP (well screws, this is a turbo IP and I don't know if I should monkey with the external, interal, or both screws).

I also think I need more fuel, but DANG, I'm running DPS's IP and injectors.

Anyone talk to Ken lately? I need to get some input from him.

Heath

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Congrats on the new arrival!!

Just a thought. Take the intake hat off and check the seals. There is a large O-Ring that slips down onto the intake, and the bolt has a funky looking washer that seals the bolt hole.

Also, Isspro has a great rep for making quality products. I can't believe it's the Pyro.
Mine, on the other hand, reads 100-150 Degrees, even when the truck is off.

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ken's still hard to get a hold of. He has great info when you can track him down. I tried asking him about cores for the turbo pump..I would agree that you should talk with him before cranking up the DPS pump. Good luck and congrats on your daughter's birth.