pumping wmo

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you seal up all the exits and it still holds water. Mount a vacuum gage and a pressure gage on it and build yourself one super sucker. If you have an air compressor mounted on the motor of your truck you can tap into both the vacuum [intake side] and the pressure side and suck oil, then pressurize the tank and push oil to unload it into barrels

You may find the hot water tank is heavier than you need, I used some air tanks that are about 16 gage

Have fun!!

wmoguy

Reaction score
Will an old how water tank work under vacuume?

you can find blown Air compressors (w/ the tank) on Craiglist quite often for cheap to sometimes nothing. The tank you see in these pics I got for free w/o the compressor motor.

Here are a few pics of my super sucker. It's actually sitting in the bed of my pickup now full of soon to be fuel for my 94 :sly

Attachments

• IMG-20110622-00020.jpg
    IMG-20110622-00020.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-20110622-00021.jpg
    IMG-20110622-00021.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-20110701-00025.jpg
    IMG-20110701-00025.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20111031_084151.jpg
    20111031_084151.jpg
    479.1 KB · Views: 9

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome. I have a short 35 gal water heater tank I will start experimenting with asap.
I can buy the pressure gauge and everything else at harbor freight?

wmoguy

Reaction score
awesome. I have a short 35 gal water heater tank I will start experimenting with asap.
I can buy the pressure gauge and everything else at harbor freight?

Get a good pressure gauge, one that swings from 30 inches of vac, to 30 psi.

As for the vacuum pump, mine came from harbor freight and still ticking along just fine.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using a compressor for a vacuum pump. Harbor freight, on sale, $89, 110 volt, and a cheap made in china 1800 watt generator to run it [small, light, easy to load and carry, uses 1 qt. of gas per hr].

I just took the intake filter off the compressor and screwed a pipe fitting in it's place with a hose barb. Ran that to a "T" that has a ball valve on each end. One end runs to the tank, one to open air [remounted the filter there]. Close air intake, open tank valve, start compressor, draw a vacuum on tank, close tank valve, open air intake valve. leave compressor running to make pressure. Open suck stinger valve which I insert into barrel of WVO to be sucked and SLURP!!.... no fuss no muss.

Close stinger ball valve, move stinger to barrel on truck, open pressure valve to let compressed air into tank, [use a regulator for this, you only need 20 psi to move oil], open stinger ball valve and BLOW WMO into your holding barrel in bed of truck.

To unload the truck at home, I do it all over again, into barrels on the ground.

It's clean, quick, easy. I use 1 inch PVC for the stinger and quick disconnects for the 1 inch hose to it. I also use swimming pool white 1 inch hose and quick disconnects on both ends of the hose. [Home depot for the bulk hose, online for the Binks Camlock disconnects]

It's cheaper and easier than trying to use a gear type pump / motor and I can move barrels in 10 min. instead of a few gallons.

Compressor.... $89
Tank... ... ..... USED SCRAPYARD, $8 each. X 2 tanks $16 total
Hose............. $40 about
Ball valves...... $120
Misc plumbing.. $40 ??
Generator ...... $139 [It's handy for lots of other things I'm finding]
Vac/Pressure gage $ 12

3 hrs to put it all together [guessing] and test it. Done.
Supply of clean 55 gal barrels.... FREE.... [please take these will ya, on Craigslist]

I usually collect 4 55 gallon barrels of WMO each load since that is all that will fit in bed of truck with the super sucker equipment. CAUTION: STRAP ALL THE BARRELS TOGETHER TO KEEP THEM AS A SOLID LOAD !!! you do NOT what them to go flying on an emergency stop. Drive carefully. 200 gallons of liquid WILL SHIFT each time you stop or start.

Last edited:

wmoguy

Reaction score
Very cool G Mann, post up some pics!

Do you worry about getting hassled driving around w/ 200 gallons of waste oil in your bed?

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why should I get hassled for having 4 clean 55 gal barrels in the bed of my truck all tied down nicely? BTW... load them to front of bed ahead of rear axle.... Far as I know, there are no "used oil police" in my state.

If I spilled them, I would expect to be hit by every 3 letter federal agency that could come out of the woodwork however. Plus a few million in clean up fines from the EPA probably..... drive safely????

wmoguy

Reaction score
Why should I get hassled for having 4 clean 55 gal barrels in the bed of my truck all tied down nicely? BTW... load them to front of bed ahead of rear axle.... Far as I know, there are no "used oil police" in my state.

If I spilled them, I would expect to be hit by every 3 letter federal agency that could come out of the woodwork however. Plus a few million in clean up fines from the EPA probably..... drive safely????

I'm about 98% positive you need permits to be carrying that much around. Yea if you had a spill you'd pretty much be BK from the fines. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I DEF want to see pics!

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a whole lot better at building stuff than I am at taking pics,, so stand by, I'll try to get you some.

Permit??? what is that officer? I'm just a regular citizen not a commercial operator.
I respect your concern, where would I go to find the answer to the question you've raised?

Last edited:

bobbywalter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a whole lot better at building stuff than I am at taking pics,, so stand by, I'll try to get you some.

Permit??? what is that officer? I'm just a regular citizen not a commercial operator.
I respect your concern, where would I go to find the answer to the question you've raised?

thats my story.:D

i been doing this since 02. veggie was a pia.

i moved back up north a few years back and getting any oil is a pia. the best local oil(trans) gets bought from a place out of mt pleasant for 40-90 cents a gallon.

i drill oil and have access to a good supply, but my boss caught on and ended that as well.

threads like this killed my free rideLOL pretty funny isnt it.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found it in a local surplus store, used. It's an oil filled gage so I'm sure new it was expensive. I haven't shopped for new ones so can't offer help about who sells them cheap

I did see a vac/pressure gage at Harbor Freight in the automotive section for around $20. The limits on that gage as I recall are 20 psi, which is enough.

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool thanks, i was at harbor freight the other day looking, and I did not look at automotive. will try tomorrow

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update, I'm having lost of luck with my hot water heater vacuum tank. does anyone have a favorite hose to suggest? I want something clear that wont pinch itself under pressure.

j2005

Reaction score
maybe the hose with the wire in it...sorry serious brain farts right now and cant think of its name...might work.

why do you want to see it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726