pumping wmo

sassyrel

Reaction score
Schedule 40 PVC should handle it. Many city water pressures are over 60 psi. Should be able to find schedule 40 rating limits with an online search.

If it don't work,,, and cracks under pressure... it's little oil mess.. right? Ugggggh.
NO!!! pvc, DOESNT like oil!! there is a plastic pipe,,made to stand up to oil,,but you have to special order it. people that have used standard or sch 40 on a air compressor..with DISASTROUS results!!!!!!!! oil degenerates reg pvc..and when it blows under pressure,,its like flying shrapnel!!!

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I went to collect oil from a fellow member and had the smart idea to get a new drill to run my oil pump. Unfortunately, the drill did not fit(3/8 vs 1/2) myoil pump shaft and I ended up leaving 100+ gallons behind.

Since I've more or less mastered the SBC oil pump mod, I'm going to use that for all my on truck filtering. For pulling from other folks tanks and pumping from my final tank into the truck, I'm going to pick this up

(http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...26?cm_sp=Upsells-_-Top Sellers-_-Product Page)

from Northern Tool. At 13GPM and only $170, it sounds like the easiest way to go. Plus, with the hose, nozzle, and motor included, it's probably one of the cheaper options around.

Generally speaking those things really don't move oil. My buddy tried it to collect oil, and he couldn't get it to move a drop.

NO!!! pvc, DOESNT like oil!! there is a plastic pipe,,made to stand up to oil,,but you have to special order it. people that have used standard or sch 40 on a air compressor..with DISASTROUS results!!!!!!!! oil degenerates reg pvc..and when it blows under pressure,,its like flying shrapnel!!!

Hmm, PVC has been holding my oil in my fuge setup for almost a year with no issues. I also did a lot of research and and there are lots of people storing oil in poly totes and drums (including my self). I under stand most totes and drums are HDPE, not PVC, but PVC should work fine with oil, in fact I cannot find anything that says otherwise. However the over pressure situation is a serious concern, and should be carefully considered. It should be simple enough to put a pressure switch on it that turns the pump off at a certain pressure (like 100 PSI)

Just my $.02 if anyone has info that says otherwise please post up, as I cannot find anything other than people personal exp. that says PVC stands up to oil. However like I said above I cannot find anything that say don't do it.

PZ

Edit: I should note that I am currently working on re-doing my set up, with no PVC, but not because I am worried about it breaking down because of the oil and not because I am worried about pressure

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
The city water may be over 60 psi.....but that is before the service, in the water mains, that are ductile iron. Sch. 80 CPVC would be a fair option just keep it out of the sun. If you want longevity and sturdiness, galvenized pipe would be the way to go.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I've been quoted out of context here a bunch of times guess I better chime in.

First, PVC has held up just fine in my application for picking up WMO.

Second, I regulate the vacuum to the tank in the "suck" mode to 20 psi vacuum or less.

Third, I regulate the pressure to the "blow/push out" mode to 20 psi.

Schedule 40 PVC pipe will take 60 psi with reasonable safety, however, I DO NOT USE IT as a pressure pipe. I only use it as the pick stinger to stick into the barrel I'm sucking oil out of on the pick up side, and as the stinger on the delivery side in the barrel I'm pumping oil into. BOTH are OPEN PIPES. NO RESTRICTIONS.

They are connected via pool pump pressure hose [white from Ace Hardware / Home Depot etc.] 1 inch dia hose.

The whole "super sucker" rig is made to move volume of oil not highly pressurized oil.

I don't know what everyone posting about blowing up PVC pipe with high pressure air has in their thought about what's being used, but it's not what I suggested.

Hope this somehow sets the story straight...

Thanks...

boxathey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have access to air. double diaphram pumps re the wy to go. I use these all year long it pumps it out extremely fast with next to no maintenance. The only down fall is you need compressed air to run it

here is an example : http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/IS/product_nospecs.aspx-am_en-21010

there are numerous different brands and sizes. i personally use two of these and have had no problems for over five years.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok has anyone pumped wmo at cooler temps, 30-50 degrees, and what type of setup have you been using.
Probably wont run into cold wmo, but last fall I pumped 130 gals with the normal barrel pump, at about 40 some degrees, that really sucked.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Ok has anyone pumped wmo at cooler temps, 30-50 degrees, and what type of setup have you been using.
Probably wont run into cold wmo, but last fall I pumped 130 gals with the normal barrel pump, at about 40 some degrees, that really sucked.

My super sucker collects WMO @ single digit temps. In lieu of filling 23 gallons in about 1 minute, it took maybe 1 1/2 minutes.

Both this pump: http://turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pumps/Exa-Pump/Exa-Pump.html

and this pump: http://pabiodieselsupply.com/shop/b-1-3-hp-motor-carbonator-mount-pump/

have also pumped WMO thru my fuge at below freezing temps w/o issue.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wmoguy,
Thanks for that reminder that pabiodiesel has that setup. I kinda like turbowerx pump, being its DC powered, being able to power the pump from the pickup is nice. That amount of money we will have to put through the domestic office of mangement & budget, (the better half).

This question might be better in the 7.3 engine section, but has anyone ever adapted the small CF into the oil system??:dunno I'll might put that in there anyway.

wmoguy

Reaction score
wmoguy,
Thanks for that reminder that pabiodiesel has that setup. I kinda like turbowerx pump, being its DC powered, being able to power the pump from the pickup is nice. That amount of money we will have to put through the domestic office of mangement & budget, (the better half).

This question might be better in the 7.3 engine section, but has anyone ever adapted the small CF into the oil system??:dunno I'll might put that in there anyway.

I've thought about doing this and decided against it in the end.

1. The engine itself wont put out enough oil pressure alone to turn the fuge
2. Cost of adding another pump is annoying
3. Seems like a lot of work for an engine that still needs it's oil changed regularly. The fuge will not take out Soot. Thats what makes our oil so dirty in our IDI's

BTW the 120v Turbowerx pump is a thing of beauty, let me tell you!

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched your vid, I forget is that the pump that feeds your CF? (115v)

wmoguy

Reaction score
I wish I could afford/build a fuge.....would make things a bit easier and a whole lot cheaper.

go for it! Buy the fuge from PABio, get the pump from Turbowerx. You'll have about another $75 in hose, fittings, etc... and finding a barrel is not tough on Clist. $700 tops and you are in biz.

dagreendeville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go for it! Buy the fuge from PABio, get the pump from Turbowerx. You'll have about another $75 in hose, fittings, etc... and finding a barrel is not tough on Clist. $700 tops and you are in biz.

flareside is a bit on the cheap side he buys his oil already mixed ha ha but he does come up with some darn good ideas and no worries i may be a little messy with my little ole setup but it sees 1oo plus gallons a week im usuing a little 12v harbor freigth special pump but i am goin to upgrade to a fuel pump for a bed mount tank like leswitt is talking about using