pumping wmo

wmoguy

Reaction score
Update, I'm having lost of luck with my hot water heater vacuum tank. does anyone have a favorite hose to suggest? I want something clear that wont pinch itself under pressure.

I have 1" High Pressure hose on mine as seen in the pics. It's not clear though. I'm curious why you'd want clear hose though?

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I presume you are talking about the pickup hose which vacuums the oil out of storage barrels? Best and cheapest I've found is the white flexible plastic [of some kind] swimming pool hose in 1 inch. Home Depot has it in bulk, PVC barbed fittings work fine [warm the hose a little to make it slip on the barb fittings].

The swimming pool pump hose is made to withstand pressure and vac. as well as lay in the sun all day, so it's hell for strong, yet flexible enough. [gets a little stiff in cold weather, but so do I].. It will not suck flat under vacuum.

It comes in smaller diameters and you could use it for vacuum hose from the vac pump [compressor intake port in my case] to the tank.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not directly on topic but I just finished modifying my melling pump last night...I drilled and tapped a new outlet port, tapped the inlet port (both 3/8 NPT), removed the pressure spring and bushing and tapped that hole (the idea being adjustable pressure by loosening the screw), and tapped and plugged the old outlet port. I also tried threading the driveshaft but my threads turned out crooked...I'm thinking about buying a mini-lathe so I can cut straight threads on it. The idea behind the threaded shaft is the ability to use a $2 threaded coupler instead of the $25 lovejoy coupler set up.

The goal is to flow no less than 4 gals/min with this hooked to a 1/2 HP grinder for power. Since most of my oil pickups are around 150+ gallons, this should substantially reduce my collection time since I'm currently only moving about 1-1.5 gals/min.

black12vbeast

Reaction score
My setup for Wmo. Hope this help guys

Collection costs

275 gallon tank $75
Pool hose $39
Fittings $25
Waste pump - $149 harbor freight.........i got my honda for 35bucks on craigslist
Brass foot valve $15

Filtering and fueling costs

Pump-53 harborfreight
Filters-40 homedepot
10 micron final stage filter-30
Hose and nozzle-40
Meter-50 used

I can fill up in less than 10min. The drive to get my oil takes longer.

Hope this helps.

black12vbeast

Reaction score
Pics of Setup

Here are the pics

IMO the whole reason why we burn oil is to save money. Take it from me i started this in august and through trial an error, don't waste your time with small pumps and 12v setups they will burn out and take way too long. I have a 100 gallon in the back of the truck with 90/10 mix and it runs great, smokes because i am running heavy fueling 191, and bigger injectors. Installing water **** this week to minimize smoking. Keep you guys posted.

Ill try to take better photos, very sunny outside and took photo with my tablet.

Attachments

• IMG_20111231_114132.jpg
    IMG_20111231_114132.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20111231_114158.jpg
    IMG_20111231_114158.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 11

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alternative suggestion: Instead of messing with an engine oil pump and small hoses why not use one of these. :dunno

http://www.harborfreight.com/barrel-pump-45743.html

Remove the crank handle, replace it with a pully [or go direct drive], hook a small engine [lawn mower size would do nicely], Replace the pickup tube and exit tube with barb fittings [they are pipe thread openings] hook flex hose to them and pump a full 1 inch stream of WVO, WMO, or what ever you want.

At $30 for the pump, it's nearly throw away. But it's a vane type pump so it's self priming and Harbor always has them in stock. ;Sweet

I'm betting dollar for dollar you would be ahead to go this route.
I've tried trash pumps and had some problems getting them primed each time.

black12vbeast

Reaction score
Trust me i wanted to burn my pump in the beginning with priming issues. But the key was installing thefoot valve and ball valve so i never lose prime. Just make sure you close them before you remove from source and when stored.

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just received 5 gallons of unused unopened 80-140, gear oil. Can I dilute it down and run it?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I just received 5 gallons of unused unopened 80-140, gear oil. Can I dilute it down and run it?

I am sure you probably can but I stopped my truck up solid by accident when my dad gave me some gear oil. I had to drain the whole system and dilute with a bunch of kerosene.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Alternative suggestion: Instead of messing with an engine oil pump and small hoses why not use one of these. :dunno

http://www.harborfreight.com/barrel-pump-45743.html

Remove the crank handle, replace it with a pully [or go direct drive], hook a small engine [lawn mower size would do nicely], Replace the pickup tube and exit tube with barb fittings [they are pipe thread openings] hook flex hose to them and pump a full 1 inch stream of WVO, WMO, or what ever you want.

At $30 for the pump, it's nearly throw away. But it's a vane type pump so it's self priming and Harbor always has them in stock. ;Sweet

I'm betting dollar for dollar you would be ahead to go this route.
I've tried trash pumps and had some problems getting them primed each time.
I have that exact pump and it will move some oil but it will work your arms out so you look like popye the sailor man. Another heads up is I made a pulley to fit instead of the crank. Well it is not any standard or metric sized shaft. Fortunately my machinists friend helped fix it for free but it would quickly rule that pump out cost wise for most.

ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i have done alot of pumping oil and my budy sam and me did it together so it cut the exp. he bought a oil transfer pump frome northern yool and it did the trick it pumps like a fire hose. i got tired of spending money on theses little pumps that they sell. and when its cold they dont do so good.the pump we got cost 400 but it was worth it in the long run.you have to look at what you save in fuel thats what i did and what i save i infested back into the set up untill it was like i wanted it less messy and running the snot out of some oil.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are making a big enough batch of regular oil, you can use gear oil with no problems.

on my modified chevy oil pump, I am now moving about 5 gallons per minute and have about 40 dollars into set up. The trash pump sounds interesting, it sounds like you're moving about 25 gallons per minute?

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to collect oil from a fellow member and had the smart idea to get a new drill to run my oil pump. Unfortunately, the drill did not fit(3/8 vs 1/2) myoil pump shaft and I ended up leaving 100+ gallons behind.

Since I've more or less mastered the SBC oil pump mod, I'm going to use that for all my on truck filtering. For pulling from other folks tanks and pumping from my final tank into the truck, I'm going to pick this up

(http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...26?cm_sp=Upsells-_-Top Sellers-_-Product Page)

from Northern Tool. At 13GPM and only $170, it sounds like the easiest way to go. Plus, with the hose, nozzle, and motor included, it's probably one of the cheaper options around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online