pumping wmo

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Actually I got to talking to my dad today and I was thinking more alond the lines of an ac-dc converter to plug a washing machine motor into. Washing machine motors are cheap and plentiful and I could really use the converter for portable power for tools and such, now I only have to figure how big of a converter I will need.

by looking around I see that most of the washing machine motors are 115v and around 8-9 amps so that would work out to around 1000 watt inverter so I will prob shoot for a 1500 or so watt inverter. on that note anyone know of a good spot to pick up a decent inverter fairly cheap I know I saw that amazon has a cobra 1500 watt inverter for 98 bucks. that sucker should power whatever I want.

Last edited:

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
the ones I have looked at claim in the neighborhood of 1500 rpm(rough average) but if you use pulleys and a belt you could size your pulleys to give you what you want. again I appreciate all the help everyone I know i have changed my mind alot but I like to get things perfected as much as possible before I go wasting money.

Last edited:

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might try pre-filtering it in a 50+ micron bag, before running it through the Holley. Those Goldenrod filters are fairly decent at catching water, but 15 microns is a bit too big for me. When I made my filter setup, I made it so the oil would go through the 5 micron, 1 micron and then the Goldenrod..

BTW: I got three barrels from a motorcycle shop one time and it didn't run very well in my truck. I have no idea why.. It was the cleanest and water-free oil I have ever gotten!

Motorcycle shop WMO may have more RUG in the mix than car/diesel waste oil. Usually smells like gas, and many bikes run 30 weight oils wich thins out even more.
I always take 5/10 gallons of that drum from the cycle shop and mix with other source of WMO to dilute the gas.

if the RUG ratio gets past 70% it makes the diesel run quirky, I stray about 90/10 and it seems to work good as long as it gets pumped into the filter head.

Javier

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet its the synthetic. Most sport bike guys run synthetic.

My first batch of WMO about 60 gallons, was all synthetic, left over AMSOIL I had laying around for years.
I mixed it all together, engine oils,ATF gear oils, some hydraulic and it ran perfect, after that 1200 miles I was sold on the WMO idea.

Synthetic is much better as lubricant goes, there is no negative when synthetics are involved, only negative people with no experience speak fear of the unkown. :rotflmao
The earth is still flat and people cant go faster than 50 mph cause they wont be able to breath LOL cookoo

I am grateful for synthetic oils, I am able to do more with less product year after year wich frees up time for proper maintence, data collecting.

Javier

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I going to go back and read the entire post but I thought I would through in my two cents. I use a 1" sure flo well pump. The pump has a 1/2 hp pump and I have 750w inverter that I'm going to try and run the pump with. Right now I'm using a 75 foot extension cord. I have two 15' 3/4" diesel hoses one on the inlet and one on the output with 3/4" pvc wands for collecting oil. If you want I'll take some pictures.

Last edited:

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to pump WMO with very little pumping hassle build a vacume tank system.

You will need a tank capable of holding presssure/ vacume, a air compressor, hoses and some ball valves. [I use an old air tank, the kind you can carry, picked it up at a swap meet for $5]

Connect the air compressor intake side to the tank. Put a ball valve at that connection and a vacume/pressure gage so you know what vacume/ pressure you have in the tank. Connect the oil collection hose to the tank. Put a ball valve at the tank connection. [With a bigger tank, and good supply
of vacume you can use a 1 inch pickup hose.. you get LOTS of oil fast]

Start the compressor, draw a vacume on the tank. Close the ball valve on the compressor , shut off the compressor. Insert the pickup hose in the WMO, open the ball valve and suck a tank full of WMO. When the vacume tank is full, close the ball valve on pickup.

Now switch the intake hose on the compressor to the pressure side and pressurize the tank of WMO with about 10/20 PSI. Put the pickup hose into the 55 gallon barrel or tote and open the ball valve. The WMO will come squirting out the pick up hose so hang on to it.

Repeat as necessary until you have collected all the WMO you want...

Very little fuss, no pump that pumps slow, and the compressor can be a 12 volt one you pick up for cheap... it just has to draw about 10 / 20 PSI vacume and make 10/20 psi pressure on the tank....and you can get lots of oil fast without a lot of mess. :thumbsup:

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
speaking of vacuum, I have a 55 gal vacuum cleaner adapter. You use a drum that the whole top comes off, put 2 hose fittings in the lid. You hook a vac to one fitting and the other fitting is the pickup. Mine was made for removing bulk feed from a truck bed and putting it in 55 gal drums.

greasemonky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So are you trying to make a good setup for mobile service to pump from other peoples tank or just transferring from one barrel to another in your shop? BTW I just got my video up of my setup. See sig.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vacume system I described will let you collect a boat load of WMO out of someones oil collection tank quickly with little mess and then let you pump it off your truck to your filter barrels without breaking your back trying to wrestle 55 gal barrels full of slick used oil... [ever try to hug a 55 gal barrel with a "little spill oil" on the sides?]

Your grain transfer system might work, but I'd want to give it a try first...
When you draw a vacume of 10/20 psi on a 55 gallon barrel you might be in for some suprises...

I know my vacume system works with WVO or WMO.. cold or hot... thick or thin...and it moves a 55 gallon barrel of oil in about 15 minutes.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
appreciate it g mann but i think im gonna stick with the pump idea Ive already changed my mind to many times and I already have this set up thought out. I will have an sbc oil pump, being turned by a washing machine motor which will be powered by a dc to ac inverter. seems so simple now but guess im just mentally challenged lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online