pumping wmo

wmoguy

Reaction score
The vacume system I described will let you collect a boat load of WMO out of someones oil collection tank quickly with little mess and then let you pump it off your truck to your filter barrels without breaking your back trying to wrestle 55 gal barrels full of slick used oil... [ever try to hug a 55 gal barrel with a "little spill oil" on the sides?]

Your grain transfer system might work, but I'd want to give it a try first...
When you draw a vacume of 10/20 psi on a 55 gallon barrel you might be in for some suprises...

I know my vacume system works with WVO or WMO.. cold or hot... thick or thin...and it moves a 55 gallon barrel of oil in about 15 minutes.

Did u get that right? 15 mins to pump? 55 gallons on a super sucker should take about 1-2 minutes tops to fill at collection.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I'm just subscribing. I still have the warranty on the baby moose. but if fuel goes any higher I can buy a baby moose every year with the savings.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
all depend on how much vacum you have exactly my concern with trying to scrap the pump idea ill be back to the drawing board trying to figure out how many cfm of vacum I have to have

wmoguy

Reaction score
I have a copy of the famous super sucker plans if anyone is interested. Shoot me a pm with your email addy and I will send you a copy.

Redneckaggie: the answer to your vacuum question is 20 in hg

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
thats how much vacum you need on the gauge not how many cfm you would have to move to get that amount of vacum on the tank and the barrel, that is my concern.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
well the jb is drying on the pump as I type I also got my two micron wix filter mounted to the filtration rig, so once this drys up i will test it out on my oil from my oil change and see how fast we go. I dont have a motor yet so idk how im gonna turn it I only have a 3/8 drill.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
The CFM doesn't really matter. CFM is cubic feet per minute. So if you get a pump with a low CFM it will just take longer to pump the tank down. Once the tank is down, you simply sick the collection hose into the WMO and open the ball valve.. Supposed to move oil VERY fast.

PZ

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
convertable powertop motor may work and its made to pump oil ,also cheap

redneckaggie;553600]so I need a new source for wmo, that guy told me not to come back again because I took up to much of his time even though I explained to him that I have a different pump that will actually move the oil. So anyone that is near stephenville texas and has a good source for oil let me know. I would be willing to split some of the filtered 50% diesel/ 50%wmo with you if you can find me a source.

and also I need a dc motor to run the pump I know Im looking for something at pretty good rpm but I dont know how much hp I would need, all I really found on ebay was those micro motors that are little bitty and I just dont think they would have enough hp to move the pump.[/QUOTE]

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, like Phazertwo said it's the vacum on the tank that moves the oil.. not the CFM. What you get is the air pressure across the entire surface of the storage tank you are drawing from working against the vacum in the receiving tank. That can be a load of pressure driving WMO into your collection tank, so it transfers lots of oil quick.

Doesn't matter what you use for a vacum pump as long as it makes a vacum. If you then use air pressure to transfer from your collection tank to your own holding tank, it helps to have an air compressor to start with, so you can simply use both sides of the compressor,,, intake suck and compression blow..

I'm playing with the idea of making on board air for the truck using an air conditioning compressor driven off the crank pulley. With that I can make a bunch of vac or air pressure really fast.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, like Phazertwo said it's the vacum on the tank that moves the oil.. not the CFM. What you get is the air pressure across the entire surface of the storage tank you are drawing from working against the vacum in the receiving tank. That can be a load of pressure driving WMO into your collection tank, so it transfers lots of oil quick.

Doesn't matter what you use for a vacum pump as long as it makes a vacum. If you then use air pressure to transfer from your collection tank to your own holding tank, it helps to have an air compressor to start with, so you can simply use both sides of the compressor,,, intake suck and compression blow..

I'm playing with the idea of making on board air for the truck using an air conditioning compressor driven off the crank pulley. With that I can make a bunch of vac or air pressure really fast.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WMOguy.. ... Thanks... That is exactly all the pump you need to make vacuum and pressure to move oil..

All this effort and money spent to make an oil pump with a drive motor etc will seem silly once you use the vacuum system to collect or move oil.

I haven't done it yet, but air pressure could be used to move the oil through filter system also and you could easily raise or lower the pressure to regulate how fast or slow you push oil through the filter rig. All with a little Harbor Freight cheepo air compressor.. don't need that much pressure on top of the tank of oil and the compressor would only come on when it needs to build up more pressure. You would need a good air regulator to control how much pressure you put on the oil tank, but it should work and work good.;Sweet

wmoguy

Reaction score
I checked out the 3 cfm HarborFreight vacuum pump. It's not much cheaper than these Murphys pumps, and they pump slower than the murphys pump by about 1/2

* I am in no way affiliated with Murphys nor pushing their products.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummm.... my thought was to use a compressor from Harbor Freight... not a vacuum pump only... the compressor makes vacuum if you pipe into the intake side, and pressure when you connect to the exit side.. both vacuum and pressure on the collection tank will pick up oil then evacuate the tank...
I have a little Harbor Freight compressor that is a 2 HP and I paid like $80 for it,,, on sale.
At that price,, if it breaks, throw it away and get a new one.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummm.... my thought was to use a compressor from Harbor Freight... not a vacuum pump only... the compressor makes vacuum if you pipe into the intake side, and pressure when you connect to the exit side.. both vacuum and pressure on the collection tank will pick up oil then evacuate the tank...
I have a little Harbor Freight compressor that is a 2 HP and I paid like $80 for it,,, on sale.
At that price,, if it breaks, throw it away and get a new one.