Pump tuning

BlueHound

Reaction score
Hey guys. Getting ready to turn up the pump on my N/A 7.3 idi. Just wondering what you guys think the best amount, number of flats, is for a daily driven trail/hunting rig.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start with a third of a turn. That is the ford spec to turn up a stock na pump to stock turbo specs.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stickies, tech section.
Search button

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turning up the fuel will just make more smoke (and higher exhaust temps) unless you have more air to burn it... or if it's turned down too far to start with. A turbo is the answer to the quest for more IDI power.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a pyrometer/EGT Gauge? You might be able to get away with a little bit but the BEST amount requires trial and error. Give it a flat and drive it watching the gauge. Lather, rinse, repeat lol.

You want to keep EGTs under.... 1100 degrees? Someone else can verify that number, I don't remember exactly.

My understanding is that towing will cause higher EGTs than running empty so if you plan on towing you might want to try it with a trailer too to make sure things don't get too hot. I beleive 1200 degrees is where you start to worry about pistons melting, so you want to stay under that. Remember, more load means more heat.

In a perfect world with a brand new truck we might be able to say "turn it up X amount" but every truck will like a different amount. Between fuel system wear, driving conditions and driving style, I might be able to turn it 3 flats but 2 might be the most you can do. If you want the BEST answer, it's trial and error while reading gauges. That's why I still haven't turned mine up yet, no pyrometer. A $150-200 EGT gauge is a whole lot cheaper than a new engine ;)

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1200 is what I use as my MAXIMUM EGT! Aluminum starts to melt at 1200 degrees F. The pistons are heat-sinked to the cylinders so they can take 1200 degrees.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd keep it under 1100 for long periods. It's not melting aluminum that's the problem - the pistons are cooled by oil jets from below.
The more likely failure is a valve having issues.

Not to mention, you really don't get more power anyway. You are limited by the air going in, and that air can either burn with carbon, or if you give it a 'rich' mixture, it'll burn with hydrogens in the hydrocarbons, and just leave soot(carbon) behind. Hense the smoke.

In my experience, go for a turbo. You can then literally max out the pump, and burn it all cleanly, while keeping your EGTs sane(leaner burn).
Because you can burn more fuel, you get more power. A *lot* more power, especially from 2k-3k RPM.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So if you want the safe amount you need to tell this forum if your rig has a pyrometer to tell you what the exhaust temp is. Once you know what and where you are already with temps you can adjust the fuel up or down. As posted... A pyro gauge is cheaper than an engine replacement. In the end its your engine. your free to do as you please. This forum is giving out advice from many years and hundreds of thousands of miles from testing.... Most of the time....

BlueHound

Reaction score
I do have a pyrometer. This was my work truck so I used to tow a 15,000 pound loaded wood trailer with it and on long hills at 55mph, my typical highway speed, I only ever got as high as 750 degrees F. Maybe 800 on a hot day. Nowadays just bobtailing to work and back I very rarely get anywhere over 600 degrees and that’s only when I am hanging balls out in the mud.

A turbo is also in the plan for this truck.

Last edited: