Pulled a 1987 out of a hole

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removing the restrictive muffler for a glasspack and going from 2.25 to 2.5 inch pipe seems to have cleared up a lot of smoke but it's a little too early to tell and I have too many things to fix before a real test run

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced all of these and this one leaks, are the o rings known for getting damaged on install?

Attachments

• 20220409_190408.jpg
    20220409_190408.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 5

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I always lube the o rings with Vaseline and the return caps just pop right on, have yet to have one leak using that method.
If it's leaking the o rings may have been slightly damaged on install. I'd replace, Vaseline, and send it.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always lube the o rings with Vaseline and the return caps just pop right on, have yet to have one leak using that method.
If it's leaking the o rings may have been slightly damaged on install. I'd replace, Vaseline, and send it.
I used some O ring grease and plenty of it on the caps and I rings. Maybe I need to replace o rings and try again, does anyone have a source for just the o ring? I bought kit from classic diesels

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are 111 size Viton O-ring. McMaster Carr has them, so does Amazon, or any industrial supply house or hose shop should have them. Less than $10 for a bag of 50 on Amazon. Buy a bag and keep them around. Sometimes Viton O-rings are brown, sometimes they're black, it doesn’t matter, but make sure they’re Viton.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Harbor freight also carries a cheap universal kit of viton o rings. Have had good luck with them in the past.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ordered a pack of Vinton O rings, and I have more of them leaking on the truck. The chances that classic diesels shipped me a bag of bad o rings seem slim and I don't think I messed up 4 of them on install. I applied grease rather liberally to the o rings and the inside of the plastic caps on install. I am wondering if I went overboard and that grease is clogging up the works putting pressure on the O rings. For testing purposes I filled fuel filter with ATF and I will be letting that sit overnight (after firing and running it for second of course) as I think the detergent in ATF could cut through the grease if that's the problem but it's just something I'm trying while I wait on o ring shipment

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When installing the "O" Rings, grease them up, install the first ring in the top Injector groove. Then roll the 2nd over the first one. This way if you try to get it to the lower groove first, there is a chance of nicking the ring trying to use a pick or small screw driver to pull it out of the top grove etc...

Don`t know if you did this or??? just throwing it out there.

Also, put all 4 caps and hoses together, grease up inside of the caps, then put the 4 on as an assembly. Less chance of a leak this way instead of doing one at a time.

The Diesel should dissolve any grease you put on.

Goat

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are 111 size Viton O-ring. McMaster Carr has them, so does Amazon, or any industrial supply house or hose shop should have them. Less than $10 for a bag of 50 on Amazon. Buy a bag and keep them around. Sometimes Viton O-rings are brown, sometimes they're black, it doesn’t matter, but make sure they’re Viton.
I got the 111 size ones on Amazon and they seem to be completely the wrong size far smaller than the ones that came off

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the 111 size ones on Amazon and they seem to be completely the wrong size far smaller than the ones that came off
@111=
7/16 id x 5/8 od

Next step measure what you have cause it's possible they sent the wrong ones. But if they measure right then send it. #111 is the correct size.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got some that were actually 111 and installed them, all is fine and good on 7 of them but one that never leaked before is absolutely gushing. This system is unbelievable

Attachments

• 20220418_115535.jpg
    20220418_115535.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 7

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I ring sizing is so insanely inconsistent that some of them are just randomly completely out of spec

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I proved my hunch correct the manufacturing tolerances on Amazon o rings, classic diesel o rings, and the return caps are all so randomly out of spec that if you just start mixing and matching junk until it stops leaking your good. I have purchased 48 size 111 o rings and finally mixed and matched enough junk to be leak free

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems to be leak free but I am not confident in it because of the history but the random o rings from different manufacturers in a random order seems to be working.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac