Project truck has another compressor!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides the turbo.................the project now has a second compressor. ;Sweet :Sly A York to be exact. Yep, I'm talking about on board air. Bracket is made, painted, mounted and ready to go. The York just needs some paint. I also now have filler neck mods done (***** style). Still trying to decide between a Tecumseh (same mounting) or the York. The Tecumseh is cast iron (strong/durable) and the York is cast aluminium (light/less durable). Both are inline twin cylinder compressors. Any opinion on which to use?

As required.........there are photos on the last two pages of my webshots gallery.

For those who don't know the Tecumseh....Click Here

Heath

Last edited:

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Looks good Heath! We need to find a solution for your set up to work with the sepentine belt drive.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Looks good Heath have you tried it out yet can you run an impact with it and do you have an air tank also do you know of any clutches that are serpentine that will fit these yorks that is whats stopping me so far (oh and like another hundred projects) the rest would be easy but I haven't looked into a way to belt it up yet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you can find a Tecumseh in a wrecking yard or something, I think you HAVE to go with the York...looks like the Tecumseh is discontinued.

Looks VERY nice, though!! I would love to hear more about how the adjuster works (along with more pics), and maybe some measurements? Giving me ideas...also, where'd you get the dual-groove pulley for the PS pump? What's the final drive ratio of the compressor?

:D

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had Dad look up some part numbers for York serpentine belt clutch/pully and he found two. One is 6in diameter with 6 screw and 7/8 inch belt...PN is 47959. The second is 5 and 1/2 inch diameter, 1 and 3/16 inch belt...PN is 47960. The may be pretty high....like around $300!

As far as a bracket for the sepentine belt system??????? I don't know how they are set up and so the bracket is hard to imagine.

I have a tank (under the bed). The compressor will turn on when the pressure drops below 80psi and turn off when it gets to 115psi.

The PN for the belt I have is 9380 and it is made by Gates.

I have both a Tecumseh and a York. So I need to decide between the two. The York is about 10lbs lighter. The adjuster works buy pushing the bracket away from the AC compressor bracket by using the two nuts on the all thread.

I will print the photos of the bracket and add dimensions then scan them back in.

Heath

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both an 8-rib serpentine and V-belt system on my 6BT.

It was easy to do.

I machine-bored and drilled a V-belt pulley to fit between the fan-clutch and it's idler.

The same thing could be done to a serpentine International.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another option would be to look into some of the pulley's used on International trucks. I know the S series trucks that had IDI's in them, and an air compressor had a crankshaft pulley with something like 6 or 8 V belt drive.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I thinnk what I'm going to do is see about just adding a v-belt pully to one of the serpintine pullys when I get time anyhow

CaseyJones

Reaction score
I ran a York compressor off my former 86 F250 gasser and used the tubular bumpers as the air tanks. It worked quite well. W/the york compresor it aired up very quickly and I had ample pressure to run air tools w/no problem

Some ppl use old fire extinguishers under the bed to store compressed air. I ran my .5" impact w/it to remove wheels from cars before I sent them over the recycler scales.

Good luck

Tony

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tony,

That's good to hear. I knew these compressors make a good volume of air, but it's nice to know it can do what I planned on using it for. The air horns will have plenty of air, can air up tires, or change flats, or whatever an impact is needed for!

If anyone has more questions, please ask.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online