Project Thread: 89 F250 Franken Truck

CalIDI

Reaction score
Pulled the radiator and core support a few weeks ago. Gonna be pulling off the rest of the stuff for an engine swap soon.

Quick question: When I pull the fuel lines off the fuel pump (mech.) will they spill fuel, or are they far enough above the tank? I don't think it will matter, but I wanted to double check. I currently have about 1/2 tank if the gauge is accurate.

Thanks, and Happy Tinkering,
-CalIDI

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I had one truck where everything must have been just right or just wrong. The rubber fuel line kept draining after I pulled it off of the lift pump. I ended up putting a 3/8" bolt in it and tightening the clamp down over the bolt to stop the leak. After that, I always did that so I don't know if it was just that one truck or if wasn't all the uncommon.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one truck where everything must have been just right or just wrong. The rubber fuel line kept draining after I pulled it off of the lift pump. I ended up putting a 3/8" bolt in it and tightening the clamp down over the bolt to stop the leak. After that, I always did that so I don't know if it was just that one truck or if wasn't all the uncommon.
That's what I do.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have liked that better, would have saved me trouble draining tanks. My 89 f250 and 90 f350 both just lost a bit.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This just happens, or it doesn’t, I have no idea when why or how it’s random.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Thanks Guys,
Looks like I'll bring a bucket and a bolt, and hope I don't need it.

Thanks and happy tinkering,
-CalIDI
The bucket/drain pan is definitely needed. Even in a best case scenario, you will need to catch what will drain out of the pump, rubber line, and the steel line that runs along the frame. The bolt...you'll have to find out for yourself.

CalIDI

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
A couple of updates:
1. I got my Blackstone Labs report back. I didn't exactly learn anything from the info that they wrote for me, except that it would have been better if I had given them more data.
2. I used a HFT diesel comp tester on a bobcat and it really made me glad I don't own a HFT tester. Readings were all messed up, and we broke 10 Schrader valves trying to do 4 cylinders. Having to swap out the schraders every test is probably why the readings were all over the place, (even retesting the same cylinder...).

I have attached my Blackstone report for your perusal. Any ideas about what it means for the motor and wether I should put it in my truck are appreciated.

Also any ideas about a good brand for diesel comp testers, that actually work, and won't break the bank? Maybe it doesn't exist, but I would like to at least check the compression before installing it.

Thanks, and Happy Tinkering,
-CalIDI

Attachments

• 89 F250-221119 For OB.com.pdf
    121.4 KB · Views: 8

CalIDI

Reaction score
Gotten stuff ready to pull the motor out. The only thing currently holding the motor down is the transmission and mounts. Everything else, including the core support and radiator is out of the way.

Good news also, I have something better than a cherry picker: A buddy with a bobcat. I am helping him fix it and once it’s all good he said he would help me pull the motor and put another one in.

Any advice about wether to drop the transmission and then pull the motor, or pull them both at the same time is appreciated.

Thanks, and Happy Tinkering!
-CalIDI

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I HATE pulling the engine and transmission at the same time and won't try it again. Other will tell you the opposite.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pull together and put in separately. Have tried it different ways and that’s what I like.

This is with the core support off.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seemed like it took me twice as long to do the actual pulling. Not to mention that it was more difficult.
Were you using a load leveler? If I didn’t have one I wouldn’t pull together. But even with a load leveler I can’t see wanting to put it back in together. Dropping the engine in takes a few minutes. Then trans on a trans jack and you’re either going to get it first shot or an hour of fiddling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.