Project: The New CDD Shop Truck

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m just one guy and a cell phone, so wot in a stick truck while filming is pretty sketch, I’ve got a cheap phone mount I took a 7 minute sights and sounds ride along video with, Ill try and get that one uploaded tonight. Heres a clip of it idling-
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Having to really work out some good ventilation for the crankcase, it takes the boost but between not having suction from the single turbo vacuuming the crankcase to help the rings seal, having two turbos dumping pressurized oil into the crankcase, and it being a high mileage stock engine with only studs taking 50 pounds of boost, its to say the least its got some incredible blowby, after filming the ride along video which I was only really wot for a second or two at most, it dumped about half a quart of milkshake into my temporary catch can, so it might have lifted a head already, I'll find out soon just gotta get this beast together tonight.
You must be registered for see images attach

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m just one guy and a cell phone, so wot in a stick truck while filming is pretty sketch, I’ve got a cheap phone mount I took a 7 minute sights and sounds ride along video with, Ill try and get that one uploaded tonight. Heres a clip of it idling-

Having to really work out some good ventilation for the crankcase, it takes the boost but between not having suction from the single turbo vacuuming the crankcase to help the rings seal, having two turbos dumping pressurized oil into the crankcase, and it being a high mileage stock engine with only studs taking 50 pounds of boost, its to say the least its got some incredible blowby, after filming the ride along video which I was only really wot for a second or two at most, it dumped about half a quart of milkshake into my temporary catch can, so it might have lifted a head already, I'll find out soon just gotta get this beast together tonight.

What's all done on this new engine?

Chief

Reaction score
L

Looking good man!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a na 7.3 engine I’m building for a customer out of Houston. It’s a 89k original mile engine resealed with studs, springs, 6.9 head gaskets, cam, valve job, 110 pump and stage ones, R&D turbo kit with a GTX40 88mm ball bearing turbo. Wanted to clear up some space in the shop and knock this one out before starting on a new project truck next week that I’ve been trying to get on the dyno for a baseline, the shop truck has just been in the background occasionally getting attention, this engine and the Black Friday orders have been keeping me plenty busy.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So was this coming out of the gas station to your northwest and ending in your drive? The road looked kind of wet. Are you worried about sucking water into the turbo or do you figure that by the time it goes through two turbos, it kind of like water injection?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was cloudy that day but totally dry, I would not want to be driving it when it’s wet out, pretty sketchy haha. It’s pressurizing the cooling system under boost so the head gasket is compromised for sure, I could retorque the heads studs and see how far I can push it, but I’ll probably just pull the big turbo off for now so the truck is more reliable and safer to drive for my regular parts running. It’s been fun but this engine isn’t happy with this much power, the next engine will take it for sure but that will likely be tested in the race truck not in my daily driver.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda curious what your back pressure is with pushing that much boost and having the stock turbo wastegate deleted. Might be time for an external wastegate between the turbos. That's what I've seen done on many Cummins or PSD compound setups anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda curious what your back pressure is with pushing that much boost and having the stock turbo wastegate deleted. Might be time for an external wastegate between the turbos. That's what I've seen done on many Cummins or PSD compound setups anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I actually have a turbosmart 38mm gate leftover from another project, but it would be pretty tough to integrate into the cast up pipes with how the piping is routed, I would probably come up by the steering column or space the stock turbo up to get a gate off the flange, I’m sure it’s over 100psi of back pressure, the single turbo with a third as much boost was at 40 pounds of back pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.