Project: The New CDD Shop Truck

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wes, was this a turbo block or an NA block? Just wondering if you need turbo rods or if powerstroke rods would be the next step up.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sorry just got around to putting the video for those who didn’t see it floating around Facebook. Looks like #6 failed, there’s holes in the block and oil pan between the engine mount and oil filter.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Hey Wes. Duetz has already made air cooled diesel engines. No need to try to reinvent the wheel here.;Poke Or are you just trying to super cool your crankcase by air induction?;Poke;Poke:joker:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really not upset at all this thing finally popped, it was basically a free, temporary engine that happened to come with the race truck, and never intended for it to last as long or make the power it did, it would have been rewarding to get a dyno number out of it to satisfy some of the internet experts on Facebook that think that’s the only way to measure performance, but an idit engine will do that much better. I’ll rebuild it next year better than ever and put it straight on the dyno to break the current idi power record, I’m working on some pumps now that will be pushing more fuel than anyone has ever put through a db2, and stand a really good chance of breaking the current 465hp record by a good margin. The .450” plunger head and rotor I’m having built now should be capable of at least 300cc of fuel, and with nitrous I’ve already gotten 410hp from 100cc through an auto, so it will be an interesting year for sure:Thumbs Up

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes. One dyno run would have been nice even with a slipping clutch. It's just too bad that this engine didn't last long enough for you to get the next one built. Then you'd still be able to use the shop truck.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
to satisfy some of the internet experts on Facebook
I doubt that you'll ever be able to do this. The only problem is that you spelled experts wrong. it should be spelled "experts"! A lot of them seem to feel that they are, but they also usually show their lack of knowledge pretty quickly too.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So here's another question (ok maybe multiple ones). Is the N/A block strong enough? How about the crank? Could you build a pretty high power engine by using PSD rods with N/A components or do you have to use the Factory Turbo block and crank too? Just things that I'm thinking about.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think there is much strength difference between the idit and na blocks and cranks, and I don’t think either of those failed from the damage I see so far. The block only broke because of the rod(s) breaking and smashing into the side of the block and the crank didn’t break off when the engine went from 2000rpms to zero instantly when the engine locked up, slipping the tires strapped down super tight to the rollers. Actually happy it happened on the dyno, because that could have easily totaled the truck had it happened at speed at the track or worse on the road. I also don’t think the factory forged psd rods are much of a upgrade from the factory turbo rods, which are cheaper on machining costs over the psd rods. Of course if you want to drop 3 grand on the Carrillo 7.3 power stroke rods and convert them to work in an IDI, that will handle all the power you can dream make on a mechanical diesel. I’ve seen it done already in one IDI and I think it’s going to become more common since even the forged psd rods are failing at 700hp in the power strokes with direct injection and less compression ratio.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm just running different thoughts around in my head about a possible future build. The Factory Turbo rods don't seem to be very easy to find without a truck attached. I know that the PSD rods are available through Justin. Yes, for a price. I doubt that I'll ever have to worry about pushing 700 HP through a IDI unless I win a HUGE lottery (Mental note- you HAVE to remember to buy a ticket!) The only complete Factory Turbo engine that I, personally, know about, I've been trying to buy for about 10 years or so. It's not his and I can't even get him to ask his father-in-law to set a price. So I've been thinking about ways to avoid needing a Factory Turbo engine. As far as the broken oil pan rail on the block goes-yep. I've seen many of those. That's where they almost always seem to break when a rod comes apart.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously, it sucks, but we all kind of knew that it was coming from the double turbos and your statements that you wanted to find the limits of the N/A engine. I guess you succeeded on that one!

I felt like something would break. Just not that extreme.