Project new tow rig, round two!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clearly I'm not keeping up because I though you were going to leave the suspension stock for the time being. That is a neat set-up. Thanks for the pic of it out of the truck. I understand it a lot better now.;Sweet

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Clearly I'm not keeping up because I though you were going to leave the suspension stock for the time being. That is a neat set-up. Thanks for the pic of it out of the truck. I understand it a lot better now.;Sweet

Was going to but I figured out a drw bed. So instead of doing things twice I said screw it and started. The d70 that was in the truck had a leaking pinion seal and was different ratio than the front

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
What's the weight rating on the bags and on the rest of the suspension?

Looks like an awesome setup to me ;Sweet
You must be registered for see images attach

That's the info off our buses that run the same parts. I know the bags are rated for 20000 a piece max.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bags are 20,000 per axle. They don't rate by the wheel.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
IIRC bags are rated individually. Axles generally have different ratings depending on how they're made, what suspension/bracketry is used, etc. Rockwell, Meritor, Spicer. Built the same...but different...

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going off of the tag in the photo that said 19,800 GAWR and that stands for Gross AXLE Weight Rating. You can put any type of springs/bags and it still will be rated for 19,800 pounds. You can not change the GAWR. Only the manufacture can.

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score

Got everything removed and cleaned up, then got the inside and bottom edges painted up. Today I will roll the new suspension under and start mounting it up

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score

Well, got it under, centered and wheelbase set. Then clamped and started drilling. 10, 13/16 holes. Got the main brackets mounted then stood the bags up and aired them up. Now when I originally did this, I thought I had to do spring under to get everything correct. I was wrong. I will be going back to a spring over setup with shorter air bags. This will move the bottom of the bag and the rear portion of the arms almost 6 inches higher, giving me much better clearance. But at least it's sorta back on its own wheels again.