Project Complete...Woofing Gone!

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Well after being down for two months, the topend rebuild is complete on my wife's truck. Boy is she happy. She has been very patient and it paid off. Saturday I finished up the last bit of "stuff" that needed done before firing it up. The list of things done is rather lenghty, but the main points of interest would be a complete valve job and head rebuild, new injector pump, new lift pump, engine and engine bay cleanup and detail, and temp and pyro install. Thanks to Mel for some offline tips on the injector pump since this was my first new pump install. I charged the batteries in the morning 'cause I figured we use 'em up. I was rather surprised. It only took two 15 sec cycles to get the new lift pump and filter bled to the IP. Then I think only four on five more 15 sec cycles and all injectors had fuel and it fired off. :thumbsup: Man was I happy! And the only leaks are the valve covers. I've tightend them about 5 billion times now.

Monday it went to Central Motive Power in Albuquerque for pump timing. It still needs some tweaking. EGT is a little high thru the mountains and it still smokes a little, but she's been driving it every day. First thing she says to me when she gets home from work each day is "I love my truck!". :love: Makes it all worthwhile. I do have pictures this time, but my buddy has them on his digital camera and is in the process of moving. Can't get them off his camera until his computer is set up again.

Oh yea, did I mention the woofing sound out the tailpipe is gone. That was the reason for this whole odyssey to begin with. It sounds really good now with the 4" exhaust and straight thru muffler. ;Sweet

Tom

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Good for you, feels great to have the trucks but on the road after this long projects.Enjoy :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats Tom. I'm sure your both releaved to have the truck done and back better than ever! ;Sweet

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
aaklingler said:
Do you know what caused the woof?

I believe it was a bad valve on #6 cylinder. I had all the guides replaced regardless of condition. The machinist also said all 8 exhaust valves were bad and all 16 springs had to be replaced. So I think it was a combination of loose guides and a bad valve/spring combo.

Tom