Project build "Apep"

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is why I love my powermaster starter, im able to get a 13mm swivel socket inbetween the motor and the solenoid.
makes that rear bolt a sinch!
I always smile when I hear it takes someone 3 hours to remove a starter.
even with a stock starter and the right tools, its pretty damn easy.

MarX740

Reaction score
Hahaha nice on the extension tower to the front bumper. It's pretty well out just have a few threads left on that top bolt. Was surprisingly a lot easier than I thought it would be, damn near frustration free. Only spent around 40 mins getting that far, had to go to work though and it only just stopped raining about an hour ago. Hopefully this time it doesn't start again just before closing time.
GP- Yep, they're not in all that tight so I try to use a 1/4" drive ratchet.. Helps to limit the amount of torque you can put on it. Now if I could only manage to organise my sockets so I'm not constantly looking for the right one.

MarX740

Reaction score
Finally finished pulling the starter and getting it tested.(canadian tire, not 100% confident but it does make sense)
Shes toast. Still gonna pull the GP's and make sure there's nothing in the cylinders. Wish I could find my dang boroscope so I could get a look in there. Eventually LOL
Debating buying a parts truck, there's a few around they're just mainly single cabs so no good as a cab donor(don't really feel like attempting a cab splice, I'm nowhere near skilled enough for that yet)
Trouble is most of them are in the same or worse shape so I don't think there's not much I could pull and use.
Anyways got a couple more pics of the engine bay.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want photos in your post you MUST choose "Go Advanced" and put them in there.

MarX740

Reaction score
Mmhmm, showed ok in the preview then broke when posting haha.
Pulled the drivers seat and pulled the carpet up a bit to see what I'll be dealing with floor wise. Was pleasantly surprised.
The floor pans have been replaced at some point in the past so theres only some weld line rust to clean up, 2 big holes where the d/s seat bolts in and one in the sill. Bolts pulled right through so that'll need cut out and new stuff bent up and welded

MarX740

Reaction score
Little update:
Tore down the starter motor, bit of a pain getting the brush holder screws(ugh phillips) out but nothing too bad.

Cleaned it up, shaved down the areas with spatter flush with the rest of the bar and cleaned out the bar seperator.

Yeah I think this brush has about had it.

Will be ordering new brushes and go from there. Still going to replace the starter if its worthwhile and keep this one as a backup.
Not much else to report, between life stuff and the fact its now pitch black out by the time i finish work haven't had much time to work on it directly.

MarX740

Reaction score
Bit of an update, been a while. Haven't had much of a chance to do anything, gets dark 2 hours before I finish work so.
Got the seats pulled and the carpet up on the pass side

I've seen worse but still.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Cabs gone brother. Hate to say that but mines isn't even that bad... But if you wan to fix and drive it, I have a hydroboost unit I just picked today.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
But I fee you. When you see that it IS discouraging....Trust me. I literally have a mound of parts but can't do a damn thing with them until I get all the body work done. I can maybe get patches for what I need but the labor to weld them on and paint is grrrrrr......

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bit of an update, been a while. Haven't had much of a chance to do anything, gets dark 2 hours before I finish work so.
Got the seats pulled and the carpet up on the pass side

I've seen worse but still.
damn, I just scrapped a set of floors, as long as the rockers are in good shape, youll be alright.
are you trying to replace this? if you need some pointers, hit me up, this is actually not a bad job if you have the right equipment and can weld.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
damn, I just scrapped a set of floors, as long as the rockers are in good shape, youll be alright.
are you trying to replace this? if you need some pointers, hit me up, this is actually not a bad job if you have the right equipment and can weld.
What if the rockers are great, but the cowl and rear cab mounts are gone?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive replaced the entire bottom pan on a 55 cadi vert, nothing is beyond replaceable.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
If you got either the $$$ or tools and know how. Right now, I have neither. I can get the panels I need, (Maybe) but no way to attach them.

MarX740

Reaction score
Cruise:
Starting to feel that way, sheetmetal alone's gonna run me around $700 including shipping and Canadian peso exchange and that doesn't include all the little things(seam sealer, paint welding consumables etc)
Add that to the fact that I don't really know how to weld, own a welder that works or technically even have a place to do the work leaves me a bit screwed. Panel bond might work but again, going in blind.
I've seen cabs for 400-800 on occasion but they're few and far between especially extended.

IDIoit:
Rockers look ok but I'm finding the PO thought bondo was an attachment method so they're likely shot as well.
He just made the rocker door sill corners out of bondo so.
Anything IS possible with enough time money and skill, unfortunately I have very little of any of those.
Have about $1500 into it at this point, not sure I could even get that as it sits.

Also, rad supports pretty rusty, unsure how bad yet but looks like where the bottom hoop connects is gone. Found a rad support repair kit($500~) as nobody makes the diesel one with AC.

Gonna have to figure out what the best course of action is, as of right now it looks to be another too far gone project I own(up to 3 now cookoo)

Hoping to get another update when it gets back above -10.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would contact Tow cat for a radiator support, last I knew he had several, altho I don't know which gen.
ive sold all of mine and I don't anticipate getting another.
ill look around, I may hve one stashed somewhere...

without the tools and the space, I suggest you look for a cab.
this work isn't half bad, and more do-able.

the amount of rust free metal out here in CA is unbelievable.
you could always do a road trip lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online