Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys help keep me motivated. There is light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope it ain't the train.

:D

Dailydriver

Reaction score
I've been reading this thread for about a month. I've read all 90 pages top to bottom. Even became a member so I could tell you your awesome! The pictures and documenting is great. I feel like I've been in your garage and seen it in person. Keep it up. I want to see color. We don't watch a lot of tv on my house but I feel like I just watch several seasons of a tv show and I just watched the final episode in the most recent season that ended in a cliff hanger to be continued. Cold weather storms moving in. Hang in there be patient. Always something you can do in a sweatshirt without painting it. Like I said this is a fantastic thread. Thank you. I've learned so much and I have lots of questions.

Dailydriver

Reaction score
Also your attention to detail is amazing and really makes the difference with this build. I'm super impressed and inspired. I just bought a 4door 1994 dually and I feel like I could tackle the whole project. I don't have intention of doing a full restore but longevity/protective measures and repairs. Midwest has been rough on the truck.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So grand total for today was urethane primer on the last fender and blocked out the hood and the other fender.

You must be registered for see images attach

As much trouble as I've had getting this stuff on the sheet metal, I have to say it sands like butter. It blocks out really nice. There's a couple leisurely hours in these parts so I'd say that's not too bad.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. After a full day of sanding, I backed it out of the garage to blow the dust off. Tore all the masking off.

If all goes to plan, this is the last time you'll see big red in any color but red.

[emoji15]

Griz

Reaction score
This has been an awesome and thoroughly enjoyable read. Looking forward to Big Red getting the finishing touches!

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Over 119,000 views Mike. Many of those are mine. I really appreciate you taking the time to document everything. This thread is right up there with some of my favorite tv shows for entertainment. LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a preview.

It may glow in the dark.

LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, 4 coats of base later...

I've never shot base and clear before but I didn't expect it to be shiny with no clear coat. I've seen acrylic enamel paint jobs look worse than this is now and buff out pretty decent. I'm a little concerned that I still see sanding scratches in a few places. I guess I'll find out how good things are when the clear goes on. I think I might be able to do that tomorrow. I've got few runs that need attention. Learning curve on spraying this stuff was a little steep so I got a little carried away with the first coat. I just wasn't sure what it should look like and paid the price.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can always wet sand it, and coat it again. that's how they get those real fancy paint jobs

lookin sharp!

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Looks great! If you hadn't said clear was on the way, I'd have thought that was the final coat. Good job man!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online