Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is day glow I think. [emoji15]

I can't wait to get it outside and see it under sunlight. The fluorescents are not showing the color real well I think.

So after talking to @junk and SPI tech guy, I'm going to sand out the couple runs, hit them with a shot of base coat, let it flash good and then clear it.

I had some concerns about sand scratches still showing in places. My reading says it's not terribly uncommon although I will probably go ahead and block everything else down to 600 instead of 400.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 coats of clear later....

You must be registered for see images attach

It looks really good. Tiny bit of orange peel. It needed the third coat. After 2 coats I said, hmm, that looks pretty darn good. After the third, it was oh yeah.

Not bad for raw unbuffed.

So some notes. The base coat runs were sanded out with 2000 wet. I then came back over with a shot of color to even those spots out. I don't see them at all.

I don't see any of the sanding scratches that I was worried about. Aside from some trash in it which you will have in any garage paint job, I'm thrilled. If I were really going to go for show car quality, I would block to 600 in the primer, 3 coats of base. Sand out any bad spots or dirt with 2000 then a quick shoot with a light coat of color. Flash, tack it off and clear it. Same thing, probably 3 coats of clear, clean it up and then 1 more wet coat followed by buffing.

So having now used the SPI materials start to finish, I like the epoxy primer a lot. The 2k is okay. I think if I had reduced it, 10 % or so, I think it would be fine. I'll report on that later. The base coat sprays really nice and honestly hides a lot of stuff it probably shouldn't. The clear sprays very nice.

I will say, the tech sheets are very lacking. I've found that the tip size recommendations for the primer are a little big. I had much better luck with a 1.5 rather than the 1.8 tip. That said, what the tech sheets lack, you cannot beat the customer service. Andy at SPI is extremely attentive. I sent an email last night and had a reply at 6:20 this morning. Emails are returned within hours and many times in minutes. You can't beat that. I've been beating him with noob questions for over a month now.

If I can get the rest of it to look this good I'll be a happy man.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Very impressive, the paint looks amazing!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not painted anything for over a decade, closer to 2 and I've never done one by myself. Last time I did one acrylic enamel was still a reasonable option so this is my first base and clear job ever.

I may roll it out after while to spray epoxy on a couple parts. It's not real sunny but I'm with you, really want to see it outside.

Last edited:

Dailydriver

Reaction score
So go much was all the primer paint/base and clear products? I have a 1994- 4 door long bed and your making me want to paint it! It's currently red too. Prob not that bright but close.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I cant help but notice your "reflection of the dollar bill" pic. Back when this all started you were prolly using 100s for such things. LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hit up southernpolyurethane.com. They have a price list. They also have 3 reds. This is the brightest. The other 2 are darker and very pleasing actually. If you email them they will send you color chips.

Rob, the truck took all the Benjamins.