Project Big Red

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after a bit of a break for the winter, it’s time to get back at this thing. We need her to be rally ready and I have another trip in May so need to get some stuff done. Here is my short list.

12. Better mirrors

You mentioned "better mirrors", if you're not offended by mixing parts, it seems Durmax mirror conversions are becoming a popular conversion for our trucks. Here's a picture of one that was at Carlisle PA, Motorama 2017
You must be registered for see images attach

pafixitman

Reaction score
I have to admit the GM tow mirrors on Erica's truck are sweet. (At least from the pass seat - I have yet to be allowed to drive it).

Sorry about the bed. I wonder what Fastenal would want to ship one from Wes? Does John up in Dover, PA have sheet metal or just engine parts? He parts out a bunch of trucks.

Better get your **** done. The TH closes in 2 weeks so I will have a few bucks to throw at my short list! LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well... I can’t say I hate the idea.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, many options to still keep the wing.
Actually, over on psn a fellar is doing exactly that. Let me go steal some pics. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m working toward keepin the stock location. It’s not completely optimal but I won’t sacrifice my wing windows. At least if it sucks, I haven’t cut up my doors.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. So yes that technically does not loose the window but through my less than scientific testing has shown the window divider is right dead in the middle of the mirror if you put it there. At least on the pass side. Not sure on the drivers side.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May work better on OBS doors verses brick. OBS already has the "cut-off wing".

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May work better on OBS doors verses brick. OBS already has the "cut-off wing".
The divider is in the same place but yes as you mentioned the OBS windows are clipped on the front. I’m chewing on it. I think I have a shooting solution if I can execute it well enough to not look like poop you guys will see.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also want better mirrors but refuse to give up my poor man's air conditioning lol

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, drove the truck a little this week and the lack of speedo is an issue around here with all these freaking speed cameras. So I decided to tear into it.

I pulled the cluster and pulled the cable and lubed it with blaster dry film Teflon lube and put it back. No real change. On the Dog Catchers recommendation, I decided to swap clusters since I have a spare. No bueno. Pulled the cluster and stuck my finger on the cable driving down the road. It twitched a few times but no real life. So I guess I’ll be pulling it out of the other end of the tcase to check the gears. If it’s the internal gear (I don’t remember if it’s called the drive gear or driven gear) how hard is it to change? I’m guessing the teeth are wiped off one or both plastic gears as it’s just gotten progressively worse over time.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crap.

That ones toast.

Question is what about this one?

What say the collective?

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly those gears a cheap, the yellow one looks a bit rolled over but not as bad as the red one, I would replace the red one and see what happens.