Preping for truck pull

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok there is an annual mudfest close to San Antonio on the 15th. There are a few events and I plan to go for the truck pulling one. A few of my friends are already talking crap about whos gonna win and I just wanna give them a run for their money!!! and for bragging rights.

I plan to;
replace front axle shaft u-joints, weld my dana 50's spider gears, make traction bars, make hangers for all my tractor weights (20 weights=2000 lbs),
and a few other small things. Is there anything else I should do? its not this weekend but the next.

Heres the website:
http://www.outlawsmuddfest.com/index.html

Thanks,
-Lance

Oh yeah, I will definately video tape every pull I do. One will be against a 2002 Powerstroke 6 speed

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
I'm not sure what else you should do to prepare, but I sure hope you do well!;Sweet I hope you can grab the bragging rights on behalf of IDIers!:D

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I have a habit of snapping U-joionts or yokes. Ive learned my lesson on dumping the clutch LOL

I hope its on dirt or concrete, not asphalt. I havent lost a pull yet but never gone against trucks bigger than me.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Pick a gear combo to give you 25 ish mph at your governed rpm. Also what class are you going to enter into? Some have weight restrictions

sootman73

Reaction score
One is to find out what you are going to be pulling on if its concrete, dirt, or asphalt. for dirt you'll prob want some A/T or M/T tires. for hard surfaces you want some street tires so you have as much contact as possible.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright Got the u joints replaced, traction bars on, new brackets for front end and made a weight bracket, looks pretty cool. I cant wait for this weekend, hopefully I can get some pics on sunday.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont allow the suspension to bounce bounce looses traction and then you loose
but if possible id really check ur surface my mts in tha same size as youres dont get too good of grip on pavement

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A driveshaft hoop would be a really good idea. That way if you break, at least it looks like you were planning for it. The traction bar is a really good idea if you have blocks on your rear axle. I've seen guys drive their axle right out from under the bed doing these kinds of shananagans. Do yourself a favor and chain your truck to a tree and do some tests. You want your wheels to spin and not tear your truck apart.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Is there any weight restrictions? If not load the truck down with everything you got. It all comes down to traction. And the guy with the most weight has the best traction

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any weight restrictions? If not load the truck down with everything you got. It all comes down to traction. And the guy with the most weight has the best traction

If I load this thing down with all the weight we have I wouldnt be able to drive it down there LOL jk, I plan to put about twenty weights on front bumper (2000 lbs) and about 5000 in wheel weights laying in the bed. I should be the heavyiest one.

Mel, I forgot about the driveshaft hoop, Thats a good idea.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Just remember the more weight you have te easier it is to snap u joints, twist driveshafts, ect....

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
You're welding the spiders up front, but what do you have in the back?