• yank my drive train and stab into nice truck

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • rob and patch the necessary panels

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ReticulateSplines

Reaction score
Howdy folks.

Me and a friend are going to be picking up a truck to yank parts from. He wants to Manual swap and getting the complete truck will ensure he gets everything he needs to get the manual swap complete.

The rest of the truck I plan to use to fix my cab issues. I have serious cab rust through, major dents, cracks, etc that really need fixed. The rust through being at edges of window opening means it is a bit more involved than eliminating the cancer and re-coat since the window seals need to seat properly to keep this all from happening again.

At first I thought I would cut pieces and patch my truck, then I thought some more and figured why not just cab swap? Then another day or so went by and thought... why not stuff my engine and trans into this other truck?

All of the needed manual parts will be taken, my truck is an auto and the truck we are getting is an 89 while mine is a 93.

So - which would be the path of least resistance?

From the research I have done I *know* I cannot simply put the fenders, hood, doors on my cab so that pushes me more to a complete swap. Either route I take I need the steering column, pedal assembly, harnesses/electronics... what else am I forgetting?

I am leaning more toward lifting the nice cab, rolling the frame out from underneath and rolling mine under. I imagine this also being the quickest way to handle the major deficiencies that my cab has.

Also I have a flatbed on my 93 auto that I cannot live without, at least not permanently.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the research I have done I *know* I cannot simply put the fenders, hood, doors on my cab so that pushes me more to a complete swap.

Why not? The only thing stopping you is the grille/core support, I assume you want to keep the newer grille then?

If it were my project and I had the means, I'd just pick the cab and front clip off together and swap it all... but then you're stuck with the older grille.

Only issue I know if is bumper mismatch but I don't think that would be too hard to figure out.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the cabs are different on the inside. Think I remember someone (maybe IDIoit) trying to mount a brick dash in an OBS and it was a lot of work. Also some wiring differences between manual trans and auto. Steering columns are different and not sure if they're interchangeable.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the cabs are different on the inside. Think I remember someone (maybe IDIoit) trying to mount a brick dash in an OBS and it was a lot of work. Also some wiring differences between manual trans and auto. Steering columns are different and not sure if they're interchangeable.

My perfect truck would be yours with the original side windows and a obs dash and interior. As much as I like the look of the brick and bull, I spend most of my time behind the wheel and the ergonomics and comfort of the obs is something that I'm not willing to give up...

ReticulateSplines

Reaction score
Why not? The only thing stopping you is the grille/core support, I assume you want to keep the newer grille then?

If it were my project and I had the means, I'd just pick the cab and front clip off together and swap it all... but then you're stuck with the older grille.

Only issue I know if is bumper mismatch but I don't think that would be too hard to figure out.

I believe this will be my plan of attack. I am completely accepting of using the older grill if it means fixing the host of issues the current cab has. As for bumper, the truck has a custom steel front bumper on it already so I am not concerned with using it and/or modifying if needed.

I do believe that they are slightly different so I am not looking to dash swap, door swap, etc - I want all components to stay with whichever cab I use and I am leaning hard towards ditching my current cab in favor of a nicer, cleaner, solid cab.

What I am not yet %100 certain about is the ability to swap my 93 Auto necessities into the 89 manual cab. As in the column, pedal assembly...

I know "with enough money and time..." I am able to fab, weld, wire, assemble as needed but I am trying to get to the bottom of exactly what will swap into place and what will need modified, if anything. Most of the write ups out there is by people doing auto to manual and not manual to auto, been reading a lot and trying to find more definitive list of what to expect.

Currently searching for another daily to drive while I do this swap and trying really hard to decide on what to get that wont just be another project!

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I know of these trucks (which is small compared to many on this forum), the way to accomplish what you're describing would require starting with an OBS truck, then swap in Brick side windows and front clip.

My perfect truck would be yours with the original side windows and a obs dash and interior. As much as I like the look of the brick and bull, I spend most of my time behind the wheel and the ergonomics and comfort of the obs is something that I'm not willing to give up...

ReticulateSplines

Reaction score

What is a ergonomics difference in the OBS from the others?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is a ergonomics difference in the OBS from the others?
Dimmer switch and wiper and wiper delay mounted on column levers overdrive switch on gear shift selector better climate control layout better door panel window switch location. Of course this is just my opinion and everybody has their own taste. But for me the more modern vehicle feel, like not having to stomp with my foot for high beams, to flash to pass etc etc.

ReticulateSplines

Reaction score
Dimmer switch and wiper and wiper delay mounted on column levers overdrive switch on gear shift selector better climate control layout better door panel window switch location. Of course this is just my opinion and everybody has their own taste. But for me the more modern vehicle feel, like not having to stomp with my foot for high beams, to flash to pass etc etc.

Oh now that is good to know since I will need my Auto steering column or at least the gear selector....

hmmm makes me wonder if the column is interchangeable. And for that matter if I will need a custom wiring harness to use my auto in the older manual truck

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
You can not mix and match front clip parts. You can’t use a brick core support with OBS fenders and grille.... so everything forward of firewall, body panel wise must be swapped together.

Also, the interior mounting points are in different locations. So trying to mount an OBS interior into a brick cab will take some fab work.

ReticulateSplines

Reaction score
You can not mix and match front clip parts. You can’t use a brick core support with OBS fenders and grille.... so everything forward of firewall, body panel wise must be swapped together.

Also, the interior mounting points are in different locations. So trying to mount an OBS interior into a brick cab will take some fab work.

That is what I know to be true, but not from experience. This is all fine with me - lifting my busted cab off and putting the good cab onto my frame sounds like the best bet for this task. That would keep everything together, and not trying to mix n match and custom fab when there isnt a need to do all that

Now having said that - the question over the swapping of pedals, steerin column, electrical is still floating over my head right now.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are going to use the brick (89) cab and complete interior, you will need a brick column, and pedals, and would be easiest to swap the wiring over.

The bull/brick use a completely different column than the OBS. The brackets that holds part of the dash and column are specific to the interior.

Best member here to answer this would be @IDIoit, he has played the mix and match game more than anyone.

But, if you want to use the dash from the brick cab,the pedal bracket and column from the OBS is a no-go......

Some stuff will swap, it will work but no be perfect, some of the parts you are want to swap will not mix and match.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you dont want to do fab work, then stick to the same years.
i tried to follow all of the posts but my time is short and my ADD is strong.
parts from the 92+(column and pedals) will only work on the 92+.
87-91 stuff could be made to work in the 86 and earlier, but not without some work.
and vice versa.
the 92 has a complete different firewall, with 2 body electrical connectors that can only be swapped over to the earlier years if you cut the firewall portion out, and install the bulk head holes on your existing firewall,
or.... you can rewire the whole truck from scratch and make it work( this is the route i went with)
the 92+ column depends on a huge aluminum bracket for mounting.
the previous years depend on the brake and clutch pedal assembly to hold the steering column.
it can be done, but its alot of work.
i think i have a OBS dash swap into a brick nose thread on here...
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/obs-dash-swap-for-your-brick-nose-101.76625/#post-939521

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. ^^^^

Exterior is easy. Unless you keep the OBS interior, you’ve got your hands full swapping itt from one to the other. A diesel OBS harness would make it easier. A complete diesel dash would be easier again.

Edit:

And what IDIoit said. Sorry. My ADD got the better of me too. Didn’t make it to the bottom before I hit the send button.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you do the cab swap, then you technically have a different truck (different VIN). Now your insurance and tags won't be good any longer since the will be for a "different" truck. Think about this as well.