Power steering smell

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i just put a new power steering pump and steering box in my truck and for some reason after running it for a bit the power steering smells strongly of fluid. Theres zero leaks anywhere. The cap seal is old so it could just be the fumes but it didnt do this with the old pump and box. Iv turned the steering back and forth lock to lock many times and the fluid level hasnt changed so i dont think theres any air in the system. Anybody know what it could be. The reman pump still whines a little about the same as the old pump but for a reman pump its probably the best im going to get.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
When you first start up your ps fluid will foam up. A few drive cycles later the air will be gone and it should not foam much if at all. To your point if no leaks maybe just off gassing of the bubbles. Also generally when you do the job you get ATF on your parts, engine, and frame. So maybe that is why.

Lastly PS fluid is generally ATF. So if you have a tranny leak it would smell the same.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea after driving it for a bit i checked the fluid and theres little to no foaming. I didnt really spill much atf anywhere and it doesnt smell when its just sitting there it only smells after its been running for a bit

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after driving about 16 miles i measured the fluid temp and it was at 175 degrees so it doesnt seem to be overheating

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86