Power Steering Pump?

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will keep this as short as possible. The truck is turning to the left ok, unless fully stopped, then the pump stops turning and the belt squeals. If I turn it to the right, it feels like the engine is off and you are trying to turn the wheel (stopped or rolling, it turns very little and binds). A very trusted friend says to start with the pump, but it could be the steering box also. The fluid is a bit dark with no burnt smell.

1) Any brands to avoid or prefer on the pumps/Steering Boxes?
2) I tend to agree with my buddies diagnosis, but I am open to input as you guys have more specialized experience with these trucks.

Thanks ahead of time for all input. I might be slow to respond because I work tonight. It will be tomorrow at least before I work on this.

(P.S., I tried the search and didn't find anything that covered this well.)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do both
your main issue is the spooling valve in the gear, but your pump isn't putting out enough pressure either.
i have no problem with used parts in this area pulled from a a known good chassis.
OR have it rebuilt at "Straight Line Steering" in SJ i do not trust off the shelf rebuilds here.
if you make the 1.5 hr drive to the SFBA, the parts are for you taking as long as you do the wrenching. Of course, I've never said no to someone showing up with Coors reg in a bottle. :D

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the very first thing i would do,
is to jack the front end up and make sure it turns from left to right, ok without the engine running.
if it binds while turning the wheel(tire and rim) by hand you have another issue to address.
if its ok, then address the pump first.

i purchased a 50 dollar hydroboost pump with resivor from monument auto parts.
do not get anything from vatozone or orileys, their parts suck.

i want a redhead gear box too! its on my wish list.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I think I will probably do both as it has 210,000 miles and 25 yrs on it. The steering movement is fine, but I get a liquid sound from the steering box when moving the tires with it in the air (not normal). I will make a few calls on Monday to see what direction I am going to go with the pump/Gear box.

Thanks all for the input. I will try to post what was up when I get it fixed.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do both
your main issue is the spooling valve in the gear, but your pump isn't putting out enough pressure either.
i have no problem with used parts in this area pulled from a a known good chassis.
OR have it rebuilt at "Straight Line Steering" in SJ i do not trust off the shelf rebuilds here.
if you make the 1.5 hr drive to the SFBA, the parts are for you taking as long as you do the wrenching. Of course, I've never said no to someone showing up with Coors reg in a bottle. :D

Thanks for the info. I went there yesterday and got the pump and box. Good people, very helpful. I put it on when I got home and it seems to work better. Didn't drive it much as it was a long day with the 3+ hours round trip and the install. I will drive it more and see.

I would definitely recommend Straight Line Steering and I have had others tell me they have heard nothing but good about them.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I went there yesterday and got the pump and box. Good people, very helpful. I put it on when I got home and it seems to work better. Didn't drive it much as it was a long day with the 3+ hours round trip and the install. I will drive it more and see.

I would definitely recommend Straight Line Steering and I have had others tell me they have heard nothing but good about them.

you should put their name up in this thread.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?73483-PEOPLE-THAT-PROVIDE-EXCELLENT-SERVICE!
and then at the bottom of page 1, cast your vote :D