power steering pump i think

jw674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put new ps pump on still nothing..need help....

got a used ps pump.i put it on and still know ps,and now its leaking ps fluid out underneath.is there a way to check and see if the ps pump is good..what else could it be gear box is theree a way to adjust the gear box on top.thanks james

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
dumb question but are the belts tight and do you have enough fluid in the system? if you do change the pump you will want to flush the system out. otherwise all the junk in the system from your old pump can take out your new pump.

jw674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok

how do you flush the system out.and will a ps pump from a 6.9 work in a 7.3

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same pumps. Anything from any 80-96 f series truck will bolt right to the stock bracket.

There are also a lot of cars that shared the same pump.

starmilt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a hint the pump could care less which direction you are turning. It may be possible you have a gearbox problem and it killed the pump.

jw674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
help

ok.just got done puting in a used ps pump.still know power steering...is there a way you can check a power steering pump maybe i got a baddd used one,or is it the gear box,need help on this one guys thanks james

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it were me i would change the ps lines first you might have one collapsed and blockin the flow ,, as for the adjuster on the top of the steering box i would mess with that unless you know what you are doin ,,b/c that is the adjuster for the worm gear inside of it that takes up the slack in the box ,,, if someone has messed with it they could have it to tight and you will have a very tight wheel like no ps if its to loose it will wonder all over the place it has to be in a happy middle not to tight and not to loose

jw674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now its leaking ps fluid all over the place i cant seem to find where its comeing from.it never leaked before,now that i changed the pump its leaking???

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I don't know if your model truck uses the swivel fittings on the hoses or not. I had a slow leak for a long time, it ended up being the o-rings on the hose fittings. Make sure that you didn't lose them during the pump change, and even if you didn't, you should probably replace them.

That being said, looks like I'm up for a gearbox replacement too, just replaced the tie rods and now I have this jerking/grinding thing going on, and the alignment shop said the truck is deviating +/- 3*....sounds like a gearbox.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
hey, you're not the only one with PS probs lol, my pump went out today in the cold

I know it's my pump, there's this big crack along the bottom of the casing, I went through an entire reservoir of PS fluid in 5 miles of straight road! at least I got home though

are the Oreilly $50 remans any good?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If it's leaking, there's a white teflon oring that goes on the high pressure fitting that is only good once, you need a new one, only available at the ford dealer ( it's the only part for my truck that the local stealership can get :rotflmao
They are a real bear to get on without tearing up so get a few of the things. You can put them in hot water to soften them up enough to get the thing on. it'll shrink back into size , then install the fitting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online