Power drain

DMcV

Reaction score
I have only had this truck for a little over 1 month.
Up to 1 week ago it was starting fine now I go out in the AM and the batteries are so drained that they won't even turn the engine over.
Had the batteries tested and both checked out OK, had everything else tested: parasitic drain = .4amp which was probably the alarm, not enough to drain overnight! Alternater good, connections good.
Is there any onboard computers that come on through the night that could drain the batteries? Any Ideas ?
Thanks
Dennis

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I would double check the alternator. I had the same problem on my 6.0. I did see a slight drain also, but shoud not be enought to kill the batteries.. I had it checked at Advance and it checked out okay on the truck but.... I had to keep it on a float charger to make sure it would start when I needed it... I was working on something else and I had my voltmeter out and just happened to go across the battery and with the truck running I was getting right at 12V at the battery. Replaced the alternator and the problem when away.... until the replacement shorted and became a "heater".

I have not installed any "extra guages" yet... so just for a bit of insurance, I bought one of the plug into the lighter volt meter to keep an eye on it.

BTW - A 6.0 will stay running a 9 volts. I limped around the block and back home... however the instrument cluster and other interior electronics shut themselves down....

DMcV

Reaction score
I had the alternater checked at the same time as the batteries and it had good output and nothing was found to cause the drain. I have been charging the batteries with a charger in the mornings to start the truck after sitting over night, as they are too low to crank over the engine without being charged, something must be draining them or one of the the batteries is sick .
I have it in at the dealer'$ shop right now to see if they can find something.
Fingers crossed here, that it is something simple.
Thanks for any help.
Dennis

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might be a dumb question, but are you sure it's charging OK? Are you sure your drain is happening overnight? Try disconnecting one of the batteries before you go to bed, that way you should have at least one fresh one. You can alternate this test to make sure each one holds a charge when disconnected. The alternator will be warm or hot hours after shut down if that is what is doing it.

DMcV

Reaction score
Problem solved...

I had taken my truck to my regular mechanic (one I used for my previous gasser) and he was the one who did the first diagnosis, and not finding the problem. He did admit that he was not overly familular with this diesel motor and it's computer parts. So , like I mentioned in prev. post, I took it to a local Ford dealer and sure enough it was a battery shorting out and the other was weak. Now sporting 2 new batteries, starts like a hot damn;Sweet.... now all I have to hope that it will still start in the morning :D
Thanks to 'all' who posted , this is a great Fourum !!
Just goes to show that those fancy high priced testers don't always do the job, or perhaps it was the person running the tester :confused:
Thanks again
Dennis

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance