Pics of my 7.3 IDI Buildup...

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Darrin... I was being tongue in cheek as well. Thanks for the complements!

I agree about the hole in the hood. It'd be nice, but don't want it exposed to the elements. I work near the sea, so I want as little saltwater as possible going under there.

Yes, paint is in the works too. I already have it. Some high dollar DuPont International Harvester Red Hi-Gloss with clear coat.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
That is beautiful! :D

I just wish my engine was as clean as yours.

Do the C ring headgaskets require special machining? Or will the work in a stock type situation?

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i cnt wait to see how this baby sounds gotta do a vid of the start up

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is beautiful! :D

I just wish my engine was as clean as yours.

Do the C ring headgaskets require special machining? Or will the work in a stock type situation?

I'm pretty sure Heath told me that the C ring does have to be machined into the block, but I'd say they are well worth doing to hold the boost. ;Sweet

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
C-rings do have to be machined into the deck of the block. The machine shop had to make a tool just for this. It was done on the boring machine after finish honing each cylinder, that way the groove was perfectly centered around the bore. The Hypermax folks told me this is the same setup used on the famed 900hp compound turbo IDI back in the day. Held 150 psi of boost with no issues.

There will definitely be video taken of the first start. That is for SURE!

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
C-rings do have to be machined into the deck of the block. The machine shop had to make a tool just for this. It was done on the boring machine after finish honing each cylinder, that way the groove was perfectly centered around the bore. The Hypermax folks told me this is the same setup used on the famed 900hp compound turbo IDI back in the day.

Do you have any pics of the head gaskets? I'm curious what the "c-ring" part looks like.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
C-rings do have to be machined into the deck of the block. The machine shop had to make a tool just for this. It was done on the boring machine after finish honing each cylinder, that way the groove was perfectly centered around the bore. The Hypermax folks told me this is the same setup used on the famed 900hp compound turbo IDI back in the day. Held 150 psi of boost with no issues.

There will definitely be video taken of the first start. That is for SURE!

Hey I saw NMB2's build on another site, most of his pistons were cracked. I'm not quite sure why they were fractured but do you think it was from heat or boost pressure or something else? He said he is going to coat the pistons this time and thinks it will prevent it in the future. :dunno

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on his piston fractures is that he was holding it at 1200* for 5 to 10 mins at a time going uphill and would hit 1400* also. So that definitely explains the fractures. But overall, the pistons didn't look as bad as one would think though.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Do you plan on adding an ethier system to get it started sinc you are dropping the compression so low?

SWS