Pics of my 7.3 IDI Buildup...

farmerpooley

Reaction score
I dont know how the hell this website works, im just trying to get some suggestions on what kind of muffler i should use for my 90 7.3 idi with 5" stacks, help?

monkeyboi

Reaction score
On the front page, 6.9 & 7.3 idi, under forum tools select 'start new thread' and post the question so that it will show up as a new thread instead of being buried in this one. You will get more attention to your question that way.

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

My apologies for the incommunicado status for so long. I started a new job since I got out of the Navy and I've been crazy busy. We have some lull time so I'm getting a little time off. I'm back in the garage trying to finish this thing! I have some pics to post and I'll get 'em up soon. I had to remove the a/c box and replace it with a smaller blower box to make room for the 5" downpipe, which I fabricated this past weekend. It goes out the fenderwell and straight back to a 5" silverline slash cut stainless stack. Today I'm going to be welding in the pan-e-vac tubes, and pyro fitting into the downpipe. Once complete, the finished downpipe is going to be ceramic coated inside and out. Also trying to get the fuel system done today as well. 1/2" standpipe in the rear tank (from a FASS kit) with 1/2" fuel line. A Holley HP150 will be moving fuel.

I'll post as soon as pics are up. Shouldn't be long now. I've got a little downtime for about a month, and then work is gonna get nuts again.

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X9

I am interested in a set of those manifolds and up pipes. :sly

How much for all the pieces, not welded or coated?

I made the manifolds and up pipes with mandrel bends. I cut and fabricated as I went. The flanges are from Stan's Headers. Took me about two days work to finish it. I used 1 7/8" u-bends for the exhaust ports, and 2 1/2" for the logs/up pipes. A drill press with holesaws was used to fishmouth the pipes as needed.

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worried? No. I'm EXPECTING it! This is going to be a sled puller that *can* be daily driven. With the RPMs I'm going to run, I don't think it will be too big of an issue though. I did all the math for a target of 4000-4500 rpm and then dug through compressor maps. This is what I came up with. Probably going to sound like a 747 taxiing down the highway though.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UuMMMM , nice! I have a question about the up pipes expanding and shoving on the turbo and your headers. I see the band clamps and they will allow side slip but the front to back is my concern, just a thought.
Would be no issue but the turbo is clamped right to the intake.
Love the work. VERY CLEAN.
Oh and screw the cowl hood, just hack a hole and show that baby off.LOL

My sandrail header moves all over from heat.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Worried? No. I'm EXPECTING it! This is going to be a sled puller that *can* be daily driven. With the RPMs I'm going to run, I don't think it will be too big of an issue though. I did all the math for a target of 4000-4500 rpm and then dug through compressor maps. This is what I came up with. Probably going to sound like a 747 taxiing down the highway though.

Video and/or Audio is a requirement when the time comes :):thumbsup:

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The header flanges were like $125. Both up pipes have two band clamps on them with about 1/4" of clearance at each butt joint to allow for expansion.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Yea would be cool to have that turbo out in the open out of that hood. Very nice work! Im ready to listen to this thing! Whats your plan for the rest of the truck? Paint?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
but arent you worried about Turbo Lag with that setup,..

Worried? No. I'm EXPECTING it! This is going to be a sled puller that *can* be daily driven.

I hope you didnt take that comment wrong, It was my attempt at being funny, Totally tongue in cheek!

Like I said, Very impressive build, cant wait to see the results.

Oh and screw the cowl hood, just hack a hole and show that baby off.

^^^^What he said!,..;Sweet

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your engine is coming along nicely!! What are your plans on your fuel system now or have you even decided yet? I'm still betting that a Super Moose would satisfy your fuel needs. Also, do you plan on dynoing the truck when you are done?