"performance grind" camshaft from 92diesel on ebay

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
it arrived. if there is a visual difference between a stock cam and a typ4 cam can someone please post a pic so i can tell? or what should i measure to find out if it actually has an aftermarket grind on it or if its just a factory spec cam? Assuming the box it was shipped in was the box for this cam, it says "delta camshaft" and "reground camshaft" on the box.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You really need to degree the cam in the engine before you know what cam you have or... Call Delta with the numbers on the cam... They box numbers will help but they only refer to what was in that box from the grinder. Using the box numbers is a trust issue from a known person that has not been speaking the truth here about items for sale or members here. Do you have the micrometers and ability to measure the cam in question... If so please PM me. I may be able to help you that way. I have propriety information on this subject....:angel:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Using the box numbers is a trust issue from a known person that has not been speaking the truth here about items for sale or members here.

Good point! I forgot where it came from!!

A mic or a decent set of digital calipers could tell you the numbers you are looking for.

DragRag

Reaction score
Isn't anyone ever going to make a cam that is not a regrind? I don't care how fast you ramp that lobe, a regrind will have less lift then the original grind did. I think we could make much more power with a new hi performance cam.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Isn't anyone ever going to make a cam that is not a regrind? I don't care how fast you ramp that lobe, a regrind will have less lift then the original grind did. I think we could make much more power with a new hi performance cam.

There in lies the problem, nobody will fork out the money to make custom made cam. All we have to work with are regrinds.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score

shouldnt longer pushrods be used with a reground cam to correct the issue of less lift?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mudkicker... When you "clean up" a factory cam you are grinding off a tiny bit of it... Not changing any angle or ramp... Yes.. You loose some lift but... I lost about 1/2 thousands loft when I had my first oem cam cleaned up or as its talked about here Reground... These two phrases are really differant things too.... Now the infamous typ4 cam is in fact a grind to a much differant profile.. You can se the differance just looking the the two cams side by side. Without going in to too much detail I will say the typ4 cam has a wider cam lobe and its appears to be not as tall in the lift. That may or may not be true because if the bottom circle was ground more it would still have the same lift... I know this explanation is complicated but some will understand it. So... A cleaned up cam will not need a longer pushrod nor will the typ4 cam thats for sure.... The typ4 cam is designed as a torquer cam and Towcat knows first hand how it pulls right from idle and all the way up... Russ will tell you that... Towcat even thought Russ's rig had 4.100 gears in it because of how it launched off at the lite.....:eek::angel: He told Russ it ran great but.... It has this little knock in it now.....:eek::rotflmao Just kidding... Some guys relly like to tease others....:hail:D

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mudkicker... When you "clean up" a factory cam you are grinding off a tiny bit of it... Not changing any angle or ramp... Yes.. You loose some lift but... I lost about 1/2 thousands loft when I had my first oem cam cleaned up or as its talked about here Reground... These two phrases are really differant things too.... Now the infamous typ4 cam is in fact a grind to a much differant profile.. You can se the differance just looking the the two cams side by side. Without going in to too much detail I will say the typ4 cam has a wider cam lobe and its appears to be not as tall in the lift. That may or may not be true because if the bottom circle was ground more it would still have the same lift... I know this explanation is complicated but some will understand it. So... A cleaned up cam will not need a longer pushrod nor will the typ4 cam thats for sure.... The typ4 cam is designed as a torquer cam and Towcat knows first hand how it pulls right from idle and all the way up... Russ will tell you that... Towcat even thought Russ's rig had 4.100 gears in it because of how it launched off at the lite.....:eek::angel: He told Russ it ran great but.... It has this little knock in it now.....:eek::rotflmao Just kidding... Some guys relly like to tease others....:hail:D

i understand that completely, but never hearing about the specs of the "type 4" camshaft, i only assume what i know about reground cams i have dealt with. but it is always a good idea to ck your push rod length when installing any aftermarket cam, even reground.
only thing i did have to question is when you say "That may or may not be true because if the bottom circle was ground more it would still have the same lift.." did you mean base circle?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... Base circle is what I meant to say... I was using a term that I hoped was user friendly here. Any typ4 cam should have the numbers 206 etched into the bottom of it. Thats whats on the typ4 cam I have here. I measured my new factory oem cam. Both base circles are the same on the intake and exhaust. They are 1.578. They are much differant on the typ4 cam. Even differant from intake to exhaust too....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online