People just don't understand

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
if it's cheap enough and you have the room....... buy it, fog it, seal it, and store it

think of it as a backup engine just in case you ever fall victim to the cavitation worm..... or decide to get bored with a Ranger or something.....

no sense swapping out a perfectly good IDI unless you aren't satisfied with it, and if you're not, just buy a running 'stroke

Hossidi

Rollin black coal
Reaction score
Yeah thank you jwalterus. I love my idi and don't see it going anywhere. This might sound stupid or dumb, but my goal is to get it to have more horsepower and torque than a stock 7.3 powerstroke which is only 250hp and 505ft lb tq. But I've done some studying and searching.... And it's not really lookin all that great. Don't get me wrong I mean I'd say it can be done and Im just hoping for the best. I'd like to do all that can be done to my engine.

With the help from you guys I don't think I will have many problems. Everyone here has already been a very big help.

And this thread I posted was not intended for arguing or to cause problems. I don't dislike any diesel engine I just prefer a chosen few.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
Well no offense but keep your cummins... Im a coal miner Im on the surface and something I've learned since I started is that cummins is the biggest overrated POS ever made. Caterpillar is where it's at can't no ****** cummins with stand the day in day out steep ramps and heavy loads plus beating that a cat can take.

But back to an idi. I don't wanna cause an argument cause everybody Likes something different if we all liked the samething there wouldn't be any competition or ford trucks with idis left.

So realistically you'd put a CAT in a pickup truck instead of a cummins? Kindve comparing apples and oranges there. Better to compare the cummins and idi since those are both feasable to have in a truck.

Regarding 'overrated', a ppump 12v with $300 in mods makes 300-350 reliable hp. I don't understand what's overrated about it, there is no diesel that was put in pickup trucks from the factory that is easier to make huge power out of than a 12v cummins, which is why people like them.

If I were to call an engine overrated, it would be the powerstroke. Other than being long-lasting, they dont have much going for them. Good for pulling trailors like every other diesel, yes. But they are expensive to mod, $ per hp is much lower with a cummins. And they are a pita to troubleshoot.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Guess you will hate me.:D I am putting a Powerstroke in place of the IDI in my 86. the IDI will NEVER live up to my expections. But the PSD DO. I have had 4 IDIs and about 15 PSDs
None of the PSD have let me down(power or reliability) The IDIs on the other hand, well....... there is a reason I am doing a motor swap

Hossidi

Rollin black coal
Reaction score
Hey man I'm not arguing with you or callin you a liar. You are right cummins are cheap to mod and easy to make hp. But if you lived where I did all you freakin hear about is 5.9 12valve cummins cummins cummins, cummins this cummins that. Believe me buddy it's aggravating. Also there is komatsu 250 ton dump truck at work which has the cummins and it stays broke down.

I do kno a guy who put a smaller cat engine in his 85 gmc 3500 it's a 3208 engine. Small but big for that truck

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jon, I feel your pain. If I've been told once, I've been told a thousand times.... "you need to get rid of that old IDI and put a PSD or more often a Cummins in there." Matter of fact, I was call places looking for a good machine shop to work on my 6.9 yesterday. Joey's Diesel in Livermore started right off the bat with........ "why don't you just put a 12 valve Cummins in there?" My reply was "why would I want to do that? So I can be like every other guy with a diesel truck in the state?" It was a short conversation to say the least. He knew nothing about these IDI's and I moved on.

Anyway, what mine do you work at? Dad's been at KenAmerica for years.

Heath

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Jon, I feel your pain. If I've been told once, I've been told a thousand times.... "you need to get rid of that old IDI and put a PSD or more often a Cummins in there." Matter of fact, I was call places looking for a good machine shop to work on my 6.9 yesterday. Joey's Diesel in Livermore started right off the bat with........ "why don't you just put a 12 valve Cummins in there?" My reply was "why would I want to do that? So I can be like every other guy with a diesel truck in the state?" It was a short conversation to say the least. He knew nothing about these IDI's and I moved on.

Anyway, what mine do you work at? Dad's been at KenAmerica for years.

Heath

Shame you aren't closer, the machine shop I used to work at still has all the tooling and know how to work on them. Gonna have them go through mine when I do the turbo, already have gaskets, studs and such.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old hard to work on and expensive stigma really doesn't apply to a PSD anymore, the good 'ol 7.3 has been around for 17 years now. Yes, they aren't simple, but, they are definatley not out of the realm of a decent do it yourselfer. I've been maintaining 3 besides my own for the last 4 years, and in that time I've needed a scan tool for diagnostics once, and that was on my own, and it still didn't help me figure out the ECM was fried. While the engine is largely electronically controlled, the old look, touch and listen brand of diagnostics does still work with them. Realisticly, the largest failure point I have seen on them, even moreso than the well known CPS is glow plug relays.

My IDI is extremely reliable, but the PSD just goes, and doesn't even care if I forget to plug it in at -30... LOL

As for a Cummins, mine has been bulletproof, the Dodge, not so much.... LOL

And for the Cat statement, they call it Cat gold for a reason, their parts might as well be made out of it when it comes time to do maintenance.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I've said it before I'll say it again, I'll stick with my IDI, back in 09 I had a Ford rep at the Detroit Auto Show tell me, "If you want a truck that can be worked hard, put away wet, and be a reliable daily driver, keep your IDI. But if you just want a daily driver then I'll buy your IDI and get you a good deal on a new 6.7."

Everything has a place

Truer words have never been spoken.

Guess you will hate me.:D I am putting a Powerstroke in place of the IDI in my 86. the IDI will NEVER live up to my expections. But the PSD DO. I have had 4 IDIs and about 15 PSDs
None of the PSD have let me down(power or reliability) The IDIs on the other hand, well....... there is a reason I am doing a motor swap

Yea, but you're Brad... We have all learned that you do stuff your way and don't give a **** what others think.

And for the Cat statement, they call it Cat gold for a reason, their parts might as well be made out of it when it comes time to do maintenance.

You ain't kidding!

gatorman21218

Reaction score
The simpler it is, the less that can go wrong.

Look I think some people have unrealistic expectations of the engine. It was NOT designed for the NASCAR circuit or the local Truck Pull. It was designed to do everything the 460 did, while using half the fuel, and last 3 times longer. And based on that, Id say its a damn good engine.

Plus my 20 year old truck gets better mileage than anybody I know with a 1/2 ton gasser, and I do believe I can put the most weight in the bed too.

berniesouthunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My idi loves me, and I love her. She's not that purdy,but she likes to get down and dirty, she is alittle loose for being her age, a little oily in spotts, but she's mine though and through.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My idi loves me, and I love her. She's not that purdy,but she likes to get down and dirty, she is alittle loose for being her age, a little oily in spotts, but she's mine though and through.

Yeeeeup!!!

A Calamity Jane for sure.... but dang she's fun!