People just don't understand

Hossidi

Rollin black coal
Reaction score
I just come across a chance to buy a 7.3 powerstroke with transmission. The fella mentioned replacing the idi with the powerstroke... But hold on wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having that great sense of pride I have everytime I turn the key over? I need some feedback on this cause maybe it's just me but thats kind of a low blow to my truck and it's engine. Yea it might be a something that come over on the mayflower but it means slot to me since it's my first diesel

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and replace the IDI with the powerstroke. Then when you have problems no one will be able to figure it out. When you need to replace parts they will not as cheap as they are for the IDI and when your truck does not start it could be way more problems than just something with the fuel system which 90% of the time is the culprit of a non starting IDI..

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I would like to think Jake for his help on this one. . A stroke is nice but an idi just is way more fun

Hossidi

Rollin black coal
Reaction score
Jake_IN I like the disapproving dog that's pretty funny. But i wasn't planning on swapping them so no worrys. It's pointless to me

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
That guy's an idiot............A Cummins would be a way better choice! :D

I HATE THOSE WORDS! Not everyone needs a truck that smokes to make up for a small **** or a poor personality. I

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
I HATE THOSE WORDS! Not everyone needs a truck that smokes to make up for a small **** or a poor personality. I

You know, some people say that about ANY diesel truck owner.

Kinda sh*tty to say just because you own a Cummins you blow smoke.

Hossidi

Rollin black coal
Reaction score
That guy's an idiot............A Cummins would be a way better choice! :D

Well no offense but keep your cummins... Im a coal miner Im on the surface and something I've learned since I started is that cummins is the biggest overrated POS ever made. Caterpillar is where it's at can't no ****** cummins with stand the day in day out steep ramps and heavy loads plus beating that a cat can take.

But back to an idi. I don't wanna cause an argument cause everybody Likes something different if we all liked the samething there wouldn't be any competition or ford trucks with idis left.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IDI is the "old school" of the diesels. Once you get into DI and computers its a whole different ball game. You could compare it to a carb'd 350 sbc versus any V8 made in the last 10+ years. No doubt the standard 350 is easier to work on.

The reliablility and simpler mechanics is what attracted me to an IDI. Not saying I wouldnt like to have another more modern diesel at some point down the road, but imo its easier to learn the basics on something older. My first learning with gassers wasnt some 32v modern V8, it was a stock 350 sbc.

All that being said I think swaps are cool if youve got the coin. For an OBS Ford I would go Cummins though. But thats just me. :)

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
personally i think it would be an awesome upgrade for a older ford. more power and reliability....oh no i said it :rotflmao
if i relied solely on my idi as transportation i would have been unemployed long ago. you can talk all the **** about psd you want but truth of the matter is 174k miles and one water pump and an alternator is pretty good. i bought the 84 as a project which is a role it DEFINITELY fills but daily driver...no. an eightys ford with a newer engine in it would be badass i think. ;Sweet

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, some people say that about ANY diesel truck owner.

Kinda sh*tty to say just because you own a Cummins you blow smoke.

Seen at the IDI rally on a truck there. I'd rather be 6.9ing than ****** or strokin :D

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IDI not only has the coolness factor, the genius of being simple hard working and a truly effective power source, is the proud grandfather of the marrying of a light truck with a diesel (OEM anyways), but it also is the choice of the hardcore diesel fans since it takes more than a computer chip to change the way it runs. It may drive slower than newer trucks, but it will pull and pull and pull with a smile the entire way. And it will do the work thrown at it.

Don't get me wrong, I love a Cummins. They must be tough if they can live in front of my brothers right foot. But it's just not the same.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
personally i think it would be an awesome upgrade for a older ford. more power and reliability....oh no i said it :rotflmao
if i relied solely on my idi as transportation i would have been unemployed long ago. you can talk all the **** about psd you want but truth of the matter is 174k miles and one water pump and an alternator is pretty good. i bought the 84 as a project which is a role it DEFINITELY fills but daily driver...no. an eightys ford with a newer engine in it would be badass i think. ;Sweet

Now to be fair here, you bought the idi as a project. If you had bought a truck in good working order or put the time and money into the one you have it would be just as reliable as your stroke.
Go find a ragged on mistreated stroke and try to daily drive it and see if it is as reliable as your maintained one.
I'm not knocking the powerstrokes because I know they can be reliable. I also know that prices have come down on parts for them too.
My idi wasn't treated well but I swapped the trans and put an alt on it and some other small stuff and it has been pretty reliable.
Any make can break if not maintained.