Payload

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be more concerned with tires than springs. Some people will put load range D tires on these trucks because they are cheaper and ride better. That's fine as long as you don't exceed the ratings. If you are really going to haul heavy in the bed, check your tires and air them up per the manufacturers recommendations.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd be more concerned with tires than springs. Some people will put load range D tires on these trucks because they are cheaper and ride better. That's fine as long as you don't exceed the ratings. If you are really going to haul heavy in the bed, check your tires and air them up per the manufacturers recommendations.

Thanks,

I'd not thought of that. Both of those loads were on 9.50 16.5LT BIAS ply tires, inflated to MAX rating on the TIRE. Even now, on my Excursion, I run load range E tires at 80. They last longer, and I actually prefer the ride vs the ~50 Ford calls for...... but we know about their "Recommended Tire Pressure"... I.E. - Explorer......

Ilovejunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not the greatest pic but here is my 88 hauling 2200lb of cattle feed in the back.

barely made the truck sit level, and the majority of the weight was right over the axle since to loader at the AG supply had short forks and wouldn't push the pallet all the way forward like i wanted them too.

and i have used the truck regularly to haul 1100 -1800lb of steel to the scrapyard, and never even felt the truck strain from it.

anyway, properly loaded and balanced i dont see the truck having any problem hauling 2-3000lb, just as stated above be aware that braking may take a little more effort; so leave a little extra distance between you and traffic an you should be fine.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Ilovejunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

excellent point, these trucks are more than capable to work; as long as you dont try and cheap out on tires and brake maintenance.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Point well taken. I bought Cooper "standard replacement" tires because any larger size that was available to me at the time did not have as much load rating.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1000 pounds is nothing. If you think of that in terms of passengers that is probably equivalent to five guys sitting in the back of your truck (Canadian that is, four if American :rotflmao). My wife's Caravan will take that!

I put full pallets of shingles ~3000 lbs in; for my 'personal use' registration I am 'over weight' but the truck is very happy.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know what the bed payload of our trucks are? Mine weighs 7400 empty with the cap. I have had 1000+ lbs in the bed with no issues. I am planning on putting in a ton of bagged coal on a pallet so weight in the rear. Anything to be concerned about? Thanks.

Well I got what I was told is an accurate to 10-20 lbs weight on my truck at the town landfill: 6820 lbs, empty but includes me and the cap. I can add a ton and be just at the door sticker.

brokeasajoke

Reaction score
The tag on my f350 flatbed says something over 11000 and I weigh about 6950 depending on fuel in tank. Maybe its had a cab swap from a f-super at some point in its life. I have had 2.8 tons in the back of it before. Stopping becomes the issue as well as egts here in the mountains. I cant even tell a 1/2 ton is back there.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The tag on my f350 flatbed says something over 11000 and I weigh about 6950 depending on fuel in tank. Maybe its had a cab swap from a f-super at some point in its life. I have had 2.8 tons in the back of it before. Stopping becomes the issue as well as egts here in the mountains. I cant even tell a 1/2 ton is back there.

That almost sounds like a tow rating or something like that. My Excursion Diesel is 11,000 TOWING weight. Not sure on carrying payload, but I do know that I've had my entire family (7 People) and a long weekends worth of "stuff" in the back and it still sat level, the Excursion doesn't have the rake that pickups do.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've had two pallets of concrete sacks in the bed of the '92 F350 CC dually. cargo weight 4k lbs. back end didn't squat. Settled slightly, yes.
Pulled the load like it wasn't there. :D

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys put too much importance on the loaded stance of these trucks. That's what irks me about these "leveling kits" they sell now.

It's all about the design of the truck, the pickups especially. Empty they are high in the back. If you look at the springs, they have thin arched leaves on the top, and a very thick flatter leaf on the bottom. The thin leaves give a good soft ride when empty. When you load it, the thin leaves flatten out against the thick leaf on the bottom. The truck levels out or sags a little bit, but handles the load on the thick lower leaf.

These "leveling kits" ruin that whole theory. They are fine on a street warrior, but as soon as you put a load on them the rearend will be way down in the back. And you start putting heavier springs in the back and it rides terrible empty.

So if your truck sags a little bit with some weight in it, don't worry about it, it's the way it's made to work.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys put too much importance on the loaded stance of these trucks. That's what irks me about these "leveling kits" they sell now.

It's all about the design of the truck, the pickups especially. Empty they are high in the back. If you look at the springs, they have thin arched leaves on the top, and a very thick flatter leaf on the bottom. The thin leaves give a good soft ride when empty. When you load it, the thin leaves flatten out against the thick leaf on the bottom. The truck levels out or sags a little bit, but handles the load on the thick lower leaf.

These "leveling kits" ruin that whole theory. They are fine on a street warrior, but as soon as you put a load on them the rearend will be way down in the back. And you start putting heavier springs in the back and it rides terrible empty.

So if your truck sags a little bit with some weight in it, don't worry about it, it's the way it's made to work.
i have a newsflash for you.
F350's don't have a gentle mode when empty. if you want "gentle", get a set of sulastic shackles and install them.
F350's ride nice only when they are loaded to gross vehicle weight. at that time, there is finally some 'give' in the suspension.
that is all.....

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My advice is to strap it so it can't slide forward or you'll have it in the backseat if it can slide. Carried a full pallet od bricks, weighed 2000 lbs, just tapped the brakes to slide it forward, didn't bend the front of the bed rail too much. :D ;Really That was with a 89 F250 gasser 351 CID.