Parking break

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What all is needed is fixing my parking break, it's my first time dealing with breaks. I know I new a new pedal assembly as the one currently in the truck only locks into "locked" mode yet doesn't lock the breaks.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may have parking brake cable(s) locking up & need replacement.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rusted rear cables are a very common problem. They are very reasonable to buy in the store new. Little bit of a pain to replace, so I would go ahead and prepare to replace some other things back there also. It would be best to be able to have the truck down for awhile, and then you can tear down one side at a time. It's easiest to change the cables with all the brake stuff out of the way.

P.S. When you are back there, make sure you can push each side of the wheel cylinder inward. I put everything new on my truck except the wheel cylinders, and then my pedal feel was ok but my parking brake would not hold. I finally found out one side of my wheel cylinder was stuck. So two new wheel cylinders and then I was back in business.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent advice, @franklin2. And the cables are so cheap I was shocked, under $20 each. The only thing that's costly is the drums.

Use Google to search for how to do ford drum brakes and watch some YouTube since you're new at it.

You likely do not have a pedal problem. Crawl under the pickup and find the cable running outside the frame under the driver's seat. Follow it back to where the single cable becomes 2 cables. This is a leveling device to apply equal pressure to both cables. You can adjust for cable stretch there but more likely is that the star wheels inside the brakes need to be adjusted tighter. Again you can search that as it has been covered ad nauseum.

Fort Ford

Reaction score
It's been said already, but start at the back and work your way forward, that's the order of likeliness of failure. Cable failure far more common than pedal failure, and drum hardware failure is just a matter of time. You may not even notice that your rear brakes aren't working if your front are in good enough order. I've been convinced the pedal was bad in 3 different trucks only to find upon inspection that it was a cable or drum hardware issue. Even finding replacement pedal assemblies can be difficult because it is such an uncommon failure point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance