Painting a rear bumper

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I bought a new bumper for the ford, but I need to repaint it, as the PO did a **** poor job at it.

Its a solid steel bumper that has been spray painted, I just need to clean up the runs in the paint, and want to repaint with a nice spray paint.

What should I do to get the bumper ready for paint, wire brush it down with a grinder? Others have suggested scotchbrite pad

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either way will work just depends on your patience... you could always just buy a can of roll on bedliner and just go over the original paint

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Would the wire wheel leave the surface too rough?

I like the durability idea of the bed liner, just not sold on the look of it to be honest

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on what look you want. If you want paint to stick you need to put something on the surface. If you are going the spray paint route, clean it down to the metal, wipe it down with a wax and grease remover and use a good acid etch primer first. Spray paint is okay if it adheres. That's why the primer is key. The one real issue with spray paint is that it's soft because it's un catalyzed.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would buy a couple cans of spray paint stripper... take all the rubber step pads off , set in on a pair of saw horses [or trash can] away from anything I didn't want stripped and spray it with a coat of paint stripper. Wait about 20 minutes while the stripper works... then wash off the paint and stripper with a strong spray from the water hose..

Let it dry for a bit, then repeat on any parts that didn't get stripped..

This time... wear good rubber gloves and use a nylon brush to help loosen any spots or corner crevices while the stripper is working... again.. after paint bubbles up nice [let the stripper do it's work,, out of the sun] Hose it down and wash / scrub with the nylon brush..

Gloves and brush are now throw aways.. don't use them for anything else..

Check the bumper.. if it's stripped.. give it a good soap and water scrub with a clean brush and dish soap... this will neutralize the stripper... blow it dry or set it in the sun..

Should be down to bare metal.. shouldn't take you more than 1/2 hr.. [unless the paint is really goobered on and thick].

Sand the bare metal.. primer it.. I'd go two coats and let it cure between coats then sand it so the finish coat will have a grip..

Spray to color of choice.. let dry..

done and done..

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
delete stock bumper
make custom bumper.
sand blast and paint whatever you want.

pafixitman

Reaction score
PSA - If you go with a wire wheel, watch where you place your hands!

I was cleaning up a outdoor table we got at an estate sale. Holding angle grinder with wire brush in my right hand and the table leg in my ungloved left hand last night.

As I type I am looking at the bandage on my left thumb! No skin from the nail to the last knuckle!

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Wire wheel is my go too for this sort of thing Then Prime and paint.
I second what joe said watch your hands and where eye protection! I know a guy that was wire wheeling and a strand of wire from it hit him in the eye he now where's glasses.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a similar left hand scar Joe. I don't run wire wheel on Grinder without welding gloves. I've eaten through a couple pair but better the cow's hide then mine.