Paint thick as molasses

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was satisfied with raddle cans, but high build ones are not in stock no more. So dug around to find this lvlp gun, as about the only decent option as something to shoot thick paint. I got a pint of high build paint to try at a mix of 5:1, so the 1.7mm tip might do for that. I also found this dispable mixer thing at the harbor place...

You must be registered for see images

It needs this adaptor, to work on this gun...

And this is it assemble and will test it in the next few days.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tryed but it did not work out right, got blotch paint. Got it to do something but not what I wanted, did get enough paint on that it will fly.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you were "restoring" it there might be issue, but for "lipstick on a pig" I think it'll make a good showing at farm meet. The gun sure seemed to be legit. I'm really going to give paint and body work a shot one day.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for "lipstick on a pig" I think it'll make a good showing at farm meet.

That is more than I asked for from this paint job, all I want is a somewhat durable thick coat that can easily be repaired. If like the the other high build I have used, it will level out a fair bit and might not take much to buff it smoth. I think I damaged orings tearing the gun apart for inspection, so need to sort that and think had too big of a tip/needle for the mix ratio used. Will see what I get with the final coat, on the other frame rail.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went and tried to clean the gun, then turned the paint adjustment all the way in. With what was left in the last mix, I tured it out till there was some sort of shoot. I was still getting large freckle paint job.

So switched to the 1.5mm tip/needle, had to turn the paint out a fair bit and pull the fan in a far bit. It made tiny freckles this time, and paint deposit on the surface was low.

So tested it on this lip, that was not shot and ran out trying. So still need to figer out what is up with the gun, and a 1.6mm tip/needle might be ideal.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found where the gun was leaking and set the gun back to 1.7mm tip. Also from looking around, low fluid feed or low air could had been my last issue.

This is shooting the paint, a mix of hair more than 4:1 one was shoot and 5:1 off cam. The +4:1 was a bit runny and the 5:1 layed somewhat smooth, would have to play with it some to get it perfict.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86